Strange Chinese Habits

Guest ExChinaExpat

Guest ExChinaExpat

There are several young men in China who grow a single fingernail very long. It looks very strange and I've always wondered the reason for doing it. Here is short explanation:

Growing long nails on their last fingers
The Chinese and Indonesians have always deemed long fingernails as a sign of beauty and wealth, since ancient times; these days, you’ll be surprised at what people use them for. Long nails are perfect tools for Asians to pick their ears, teeth or nose, and oh, only the little pinkie gets to do the dirty job!
Some say that the Indonesians and Indians also use their pinkie nails for another purpose – to pick their arse! So remember that the next time you shake someone’s hands. Even in modern-day Taiwan or Singapore, you can still spot young lads with exceptionally long nails on their pinkies – perhaps not so much for picking their ears, but for out-of-style fashion.
http://i57.tinypic.com/552mbm.jpg
Guest ExChinaExpat

I knew some people in USA who had 1 long nail (usually pinkie).

One day I asked someone who I trusted could tell me the truth, and his answer was snorting cocaine (or I guess any drug).

Perhaps this author is wrong, or perhaps my friend was wrong, but it seemed believable.

Sure, there is a part of the Western population that uses a long nail to dip into a pile of coke and snort it up, but compared to the US there is very little illegal drug use going on. I've seen several young Chinese boys who have one strangely long fingernail. I don't know whether it's a fashion statement or whether it has some sort up purpose. It might be both.

There are several young men in China who grow a single fingernail very long. It looks very strange and I've always wondered the reason for doing it. Here is short explanation:

...So remember that the next time you shake someone’s hands...

I've tend to bump fist instead of shake hands... call me phobic in my olde age. :)

I knew some people in USA who had 1 long nail (usually pinkie).

One day I asked someone who I trusted could tell me the truth, and his answer was snorting cocaine (or I guess any drug).

Perhaps this author is wrong, or perhaps my friend was wrong, but it seemed believable.

I lived down in Miami for 15 years, where coke was king. During the 80's especially, the long pinkie nail was in vogue for snorting. Some were long, but not nearly as long as in the photo in this thread. You would not want a nail so long that you could not control it. Coke was considered too expensive to spill...Of course, that is only hearsay, I never had any personal experience with such a thing. :whistling:

• Like 1