Some Comments from the Global Times about the Olympics Coverage

I hate the coverage of NBC. I just want to see the sports, one after the other, quick. Tell us the history of the winner after they won, PLEASE, if at all. I'm tired of the build up of the front runner who gets spanked. And all the commentary, geez. They have all day to put this show together for us over here and it just sucks, IMO. I have not seen one award ceremony. Does NBC even show it?

In my criticism of the Olympic organization is that every player has the 5 hoops on their outfit and you just can't make out what country they are from, unless you listen before they start. I KNOW it is the Olympics, but I would like to recognize the country. I feel branding and marketing going on here way too much.

So there is my spoiled ass belly ache.

I think every country has their own uniforms, into which they can work their own logos. But, yes, the country names are less conspicuous, unless you know which uniform is which.

:rotfl: In watching the ski jumping, I noticed just now what i think you're talking about. The competitors in some sports (not sure which ones) all wear an identical little vest - which almost looks like a little T-shirt - which carries the Sochi Olympics logo, and only a number for identifying information.

Guest ExChinaExpat

I hate the coverage of NBC. I just want to see the sports, one after the other, quick. Tell us the history of the winner after they won, PLEASE, if at all. I'm tired of the build up of the front runner who gets spanked. And all the commentary, geez. They have all day to put this show together for us over here and it just sucks, IMO. I have not seen one award ceremony. Does NBC even show it?

In my criticism of the Olympic organization is that every player has the 5 hoops on their outfit and you just can't make out what country they are from, unless you listen before they start. I KNOW it is the Olympics, but I would like to recognize the country. I feel branding and marketing going on here way too much.

I think every country has their own uniforms, into which they can work their own logos. But, yes, the country names are less conspicuous, unless you know which uniform is which.

:rotfl: In watching the ski jumping, I noticed just now what i think you're talking about. The competitors in some sports (not sure which ones) all wear an identical little vest - which almost looks like a little T-shirt - which carries the Sochi Olympics logo, and only a number for identifying information.

The women's snow board racing event was pretty cool to watch with 6-8 girls racing down the mountain together. But, they did the same thing before the event and pumped up the American woman as the clear front-runner before the race started. She wore the red-colored jersey tie-on thing and was way out in front most of the way down the mountain. Then, after a long fast jump she tumbled and fell. The race was over for her. NBC spends too much time trying to influence the audience with their commentary and profiles rather than just letting the audience watch and sort it out for themselves.

Edited by ExChinaExpat (see edit history)

:rotfl: They just showed the 'sign-off' guy - he has a whole string of microphone covers for each network that he signs-off for - for example, "This is ________, reporting for CCTV News in China". He just runs through the string, doing a separate sign-off for each one.

I think this is for the outdoor sports - maybe to make identification of each competitor easier for the judges??

It's hot enough there that some of the competitors are wearing only the vests

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/13/article-2558444-1B740E2800000578-967_310x435.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Some comments from the New York Times

The Harder They Fall: Shared Slopes Take Bigger Toll on Women

Through Monday night, a review of the events at the Extreme Park counted at least 22 accidents that forced athletes out of the competition or, if on their final run, required medical attention. Of those, 16 involved women. The proportion of injuries to women is greater than it appears given that the men’s fields are generally larger.

. . .

“Most of the courses are built for the big show, for the men,” said Kim Lamarre of Canada, the bronze medalist in slopestyle skiing, where the competition was delayed a few times by spectacular falls. “I think they could do more to make it safer for women.”

I think this is for the outdoor sports - maybe to make identification of each competitor easier for the judges??

It's hot enough there that some of the competitors are wearing only the vests

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/13/article-2558444-1B740E2800000578-967_310x435.jpg

I'm seeing a different COLOR of vest for each leg of a relay - so I'm sure it's all for the purpose of identification by the officials.

But I'm thinking there's a potential source of revenue there if they would actually go to a designer quality - something actually marketable.