Some Comments from the Global Times about the Olympics Coverage

Guest ExChinaExpat

American athlete Johnny Quinn did his best imitation of Jack Nicholson in the Shining door breaking scene:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2554663/Sochi-failures-U-S-bobsledder-Johnny-Quinn-forced-break-door-Sochi-hotel-jams-latest-Winter-Games-farce.html

Here's the current medal standings:

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/medal-standings

Edited by ExChinaExpat (see edit history)
Guest ExChinaExpat

Do you notice anything unusual about this US pairs skater's attire?

http://i60.tinypic.com/14v5ngy.jpg

It's not about what she's wearing, but what her male partner is wearing.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2hedg5x.jpg

It's an empty gun-holster. They chose it because they were skating to the music from James Bond movie "Skyfall." There are several in support of the couple, but another anti-gun group is going after them.

Do you notice anything unusual about this US pairs skater's attire?

It's not about what she's wearing, but what her male partner is wearing.

It's an empty gun-holster. They chose it because they were skating to the music from James Bond movie "Skyfall." There are several in support of the couple, but another anti-gun group is going after them.

Jesse, I'm going to guess that that "controversy" is entirely within the pro-gun group, e.g. "Bob Costas will probably freak out . . ."

What "anti-gun group" would possibly be offended by that?

Guest ExChinaExpat

Jesse, I'm going to guess that that "controversy" is entirely within the pro-gun group, e.g. "Bob Costas will probably freak out . . ."

What "anti-gun group" would possibly be offended by that?

In this day and age where young children being expelled from school for pointing their fingers like a gun, or eating a pop-tart into the shape of a gun you can be sure it's both sides freaking now. I didn't post this to start a debate about guns because both sides are firmly entrenched. Most everyone knows about Bob Costace's on air tirade about guns, but the initial outcry is not about him. Both sides are now actively tweeting about it with pro-gun people tweeting about how they think the anti-gun people will react, and in most cases they are right.

http://i57.tinypic.com/143ewz6.png

http://i60.tinypic.com/34462pf.png

Edited by ExChinaExpat (see edit history)
Guest ExChinaExpat

Okay - an anti-gun group of 3 people "doesn't like" his costume . . .

So, if I don't post all of the tweets here then only three exist? C'mon Randy. Even though you're now living in China you know how polarized both sides of the gun debate are. Keep an eye on the news as this one will be hitting the headlines soon.

Okay - an anti-gun group of 3 people "doesn't like" his costume . . .

So, if I don't post all of the tweets here then only three exist? C'mon Randy. Even though you're now living in China you know how polarized both sides of the gun debate are. Keep an eye on the news as this one will be hitting the headlines soon.

Sorry, Jesse! I'll believe when I hear of ANY talk from the left or anti-gun groups more than simply "not liking" the costume.

It's not happening.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Guest ExChinaExpat

Sorry, Jesse! I'll believe when I hear of ANY talk from the left or anti-gun groups more than simply "not liking" the costume.

It's not happening.

And just like me, we all have our opinions. It's okay to disagree.

http://i59.tinypic.com/j5frds.jpg

:victory:

Guest ExChinaExpat

The current medal count shows USA in third place:

1. Norway, 6 medals, 2 gold, 1 silver, 3 bronze

2. Netherlands, 5 medals, 2 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

3. USA, 3 medals, 2 gold, 1 bronze

9. Russian Federation, 2 medals, 1 silver, 1 bronze

I think I just miss the good old, American network summary, highlight, and human interest coverage - it used to be nice to come home every day to be able to keep on in the background. The Chinese coverage is a similar style, but, of course, geared to the Chinese audience instead of me - and HEAVILY repeated.

Some other tips on following the Olympics - from the Smithsonianmag

The Best Ways to Follow the 2014 Olympic Games

Looks like some good tips there about Twitter and apps.

Vladimir Putin visits Team USA in Sochi

Putin's visit had been kept low-key, and visitors at the U.S. Olympic Committee headquarters in the Olympic Park were stunned when he appeared in the early evening. He walked through the house that's a meeting place for U.S. athletes and their families, and into a courtyard where a reception had been set up in front of a couch with a big blue blanket with a red USOC logo.

I hate the coverage of NBC. I just want to see the sports, one after the other, quick. Tell us the history of the winner after they won, PLEASE, if at all. I'm tired of the build up of the front runner who gets spanked. And all the commentary, geez. They have all day to put this show together for us over here and it just sucks, IMO. I have not seen one award ceremony. Does NBC even show it?

In my criticism of the Olympic organization is that every player has the 5 hoops on their outfit and you just can't make out what country they are from, unless you listen before they start. I KNOW it is the Olympics, but I would like to recognize the country. I feel branding and marketing going on here way too much.

So there is my spoiled ass belly ache.

I hate the coverage of NBC. I just want to see the sports, one after the other, quick. Tell us the history of the winner after they won, PLEASE, if at all. I'm tired of the build up of the front runner who gets spanked. And all the commentary, geez. They have all day to put this show together for us over here and it just sucks, IMO. I have not seen one award ceremony. Does NBC even show it?

In my criticism of the Olympic organization is that every player has the 5 hoops on their outfit and you just can't make out what country they are from, unless you listen before they start. I KNOW it is the Olympics, but I would like to recognize the country. I feel branding and marketing going on here way too much.

So there is my spoiled ass belly ache.

I think every country has their own uniforms, into which they can work their own logos. But, yes, the country names are less conspicuous, unless you know which uniform is which.

The Olympics coverage is fairly light here this time around, I expect because China's participation is lighter than in the past (only 5 medals so far)

But I've seen a lot of curling coverage - it's actually a fairly interesting sport, especially when the Chinese and Japanese women are barking orders at each other.

Why Curling Ice is Different Than Other Ice