HIV in China

One case of HIV is too many, it looks like that one city, in a very short 22 years went from their first reported case of HIV "carriers" up to 2,032 reported carriers with a tad less than 700 folks actually reported HIV positive.

" According to the bureau, by December 31, 2013, the number of HIV/AIDS carriers had climbed to 2,032 since the city identified its first AIDS patient in 1991."

Wow!! 2,031 more carriers in only 22 years. What is next for China?

tsap seui

• 2 weeks later...

Another article on the subject in the Shanghaiist (which I believe is actually based in the U.S.)

HIV cases attributed to unsafe sex continue to increase in China

In 2007, sexual contact became the main mode of HIV transmission for the first time in China and today, it accounts for almost 90 percent of the country's new HIV infections—a staggering increase from the 12 percent of cases from 1985 to 2005.

. . . During the 1985-2005 era, sexual contact accounted for only 12 percent of infections.

The alarmingly high rate is in part a result of the abysmal state of sex education across China (although health authorities have wrongheadedly tried to pin it on gay internet usage) . . . . Xinhua reported earlier last year that there are an estimated 7,000 people of student age who are HIV-positive.

Another article on the subject in the Shanghaiist (which I believe is actually based in the U.S.)

HIV cases attributed to unsafe sex continue to increase in China

In 2007, sexual contact became the main mode of HIV transmission for the first time in China and today, it accounts for almost 90 percent of the country's new HIV infections—a staggering increase from the 12 percent of cases from 1985 to 2005.

. . . During the 1985-2005 era, sexual contact accounted for only 12 percent of infections.

The alarmingly high rate is in part a result of the abysmal state of sex education across China (although health authorities have wrongheadedly tried to pin it on gay internet usage) . . . . Xinhua reported earlier last year that there are an estimated 7,000 people of student age who are HIV-positive.

The article had two interesting revelations: In a study of three cities in Sichuan, 95.2 percent of respondents said they had visited a Commercial Sex Worker (I love that term). 95.2 percent! Now that is just about everyone. Wow! And the second thing I found interesting was that the statement that the virus was spreading fastest among the elderly. Must have a lot of horney old men in China. I find these two points, at least from a sociological perspective, to be fascinating.

Edited by Mick (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Guest ExChinaExpat

My Gawd, they have sex in China?

tsap seui

Sex in China is not allowed unless you get a pre-approval from the local government. 500 yuan gets you five tokens, with 15-minutes per token. The Chinese government is aware if you finish before 15 minutes and will credit your account accordingly.

There is however a Chinese news feed machine that posts right here on Candle every day on the hour.

More on the sex trade in Dongguan, from the Global Times

67 held after Dongguan sex trade exposé

However, hotel managers didn't seem worried about possible police raids or penalties. "We are fine. Being open to you now is proof," one female manager of a hotel in Humen, which is administered by Dongguan, assured the reporter. A clerk from another hotel said it is safe to buy sex there. "No police are coming, we would have been put out of business long ago if they had come."

A CCTV reporter called the police twice to report prostitution in two separate hotels. The phone operator promised to send police to investigate, but no police showed up.

Someone left the 'Heat' on

Baidu heat map shows thousands escaping Guangdong after massive prostitution bust

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/katienelson/baidu-dongguan.png

Just before the Lunar New Year, Baidu launched a heat map tracking trips made by Chinese travelers during Chunyun, and now the same technology has been applied to another mass migration: people who are getting the hell out of Dongguan after the huge prostitution bust that went down earlier this week.

Well at 60 the poor guy must retire. I hear all the time how a 60 yr old man can't do it anymore. Must be his wife not putting out, like many USA women then, I guess. So, these ol boys have nothing to do all day, except go down-town and sit around and talk. I have pics. So, must be some other stuff... :D

Also, I have met plenty of men working away from home and family. After meeting one good man's bitch of a wife, no wonder he prefers to be away. It seems everyone knows, amongst these coaches anyway, which guys are good men (faithful to the wife) and who are not with young girlfriends & etc.

(my wife gets concern all the time from, the men at her company, about our age dif, haha. one coach wanted to help train me on the weight machines, but I was out pressing him and everything else, so... but he said then if I run for 4 hours a day I will get trim and motioned how my little boy will stand up. These guys are a hoot.)

Edited by Doug (see edit history)