Your State's Fiscal Condition

Guest ExChinaExpat

Guest ExChinaExpat

This map provides a good graphical representation of all 50 US states. Many of the states that used to rank at the top now rank toward the bottom of the list.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2v2b9nd.png

A new study on the fiscal condition of the 50 states ranks New Jersey dead last, citing revenue shortfalls, budget practices and high levels of debt. The healthiest states, on the other hand, are those benefiting from the domestic energy boom, including Alaska and the Dakotas.
The Mercatus Center at George Mason University released the study earlier this week. The center counts among its key backers the Koch family, and conservative financier Charles Koch sits on the center's board. The author, Sarah Arnett, is an analyst at the Government Accountability Office (though the study was produced outside of her GAO work, the center said).
New Jersey ranked last in both budget solvency and long-run solvency, and in the bottom 15 in the other categories.
Alaska was first or second in three of four metrics, though it came dead last in service-level solvency.
  • Like 1

OH give me a home where the oil rigs boom......nah, at this stage of life I'm jes happy to live the simple life in the mountains with 4 distinct and mild seasons. I ain't lookin' to set the world on fire anymore, or to make my mark on it....LOL

tsap seui

Interesting perspective... California is currently carrying a surplus for once. The voters passed a state tax increase amendment and Jerry Brown and his Democratic congress have been able to set their own agenda. Now what our governor wants to do is pay down the state's massive debt and not allow congress to go on another spending spree.

Jesse's link gives a very interesting analysis of a state's health that doesn't just focus on how much cash is in the bank but many other factors.