My IR1 visa status is in transit.Right now I am double checking the checklist and I have some questions.Please help!

1. I sent all the original documents of police record and birth certificate to NVC.But the instruction says I will have to present the original copies at the interview. Will I get them back before the interview or do I have to get another one?( I chose the electronic process)
  2. I was living with my husband in Japan before I came back to China in the July of 2013. Since then I have been waiting for the immigrant visa in China. I have my police certificates from Japan.Do I need to get another one to cover the period of time from July 2013 till now?
  3. Approximately how long will it take before my interview is scheduled? My status just turned from "in NVC" to "in transit" yesterday.

Happy new year to you all! Thanks!

Wanbin

1. Depends on which process you did with NVC.
    1. If you did the mail process and have a GUZ case number, they will send the documents to the consulate for you, and will return some docs like marriage certificate to you at the interview.
    2. If you OPTIN to the electronic process and had the GUZ case switched to a GZO case, you would still have original documents and only scanned and emailed PDF copies to NVC, in which case you bring the originals to the interview.

2. Perhaps, police certs are only considered valid for 6 months, you may be required to get one to cover time lived in China from July to interview depending on when you interview, and also depending on when you got the one from Japan.

3. They don't schedule interview, consulate should send you a notice and instructions to go to US Travel docs website to schedule your interview, you will pick the date. http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-steps.asp

• Depends on which process you did with NVC.

• If you did the mail process and have a GUZ case number, they will send the documents to the consulate for you, and will return some docs like marriage certificate to you at the interview.
    • If you OPTIN to the electronic process and had the GUZ case switched to a GZO case, you would still have original documents and only scanned and emailed PDF copies to NVC, in which case you bring the originals to the interview.

• Perhaps, police certs are only considered valid for 6 months, you may be required to get one to cover time lived in China from July to interview depending on when you interview, and also depending on when you got the one from Japan.

• They don't schedule interview, consulate should send you a notice and instructions to go to US Travel docs website to schedule your interview, you will pick the date. http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-steps.asp

Thanks for the prompt reply! Will I be notified if I have to get another police certificate? I got one from Japan in June.

Edited by wanbinwang (see edit history)

I would suspect the Japan one will be fine, it was valid when you sent it to NVC. If you have been in China longer than 6 months prior to interview, I would get a report from the local PSB along with an English translation from the Notary office, typically in the same place as the PSB, and have it handy for the interview.

I would suspect the Japan one will be fine, it was valid when you sent it to NVC. If you have been in China longer than 6 months prior to interview, I would get a report from the local PSB along with an English translation from the Notary office, typically in the same place as the PSB, and have it handy for the interview.

Thanks, I will get that.

I checked visa status and the big "ready" showed up. Should I be expexting something in the mail or they will send the notice to my email? My case number starts with GUZ.