Happy Winter's Day Celebration

Guest ExChinaExpat

Guest ExChinaExpat

Well, this is a new one on me. Today is Winter's Day Celebration, in which Cantonese people spend time and dinner celebrating with their families. A very important day I am told that is close if not exceeding the Chinese New Year. The Chinese pinyin is Dong Zhi, 冬至

Edited by GuangDongExpat (see edit history)

Well, this is a new one on me. Today is Winter's Day Celebration, in which Cantonese people spend time and dinner celebrating with their families. A very important day I am told that is close if not exceeding the Chinese New Year. The Chinese pinyin is Dong Zhi, 冬至

Yes - we get together with the in-laws every year, but it's pretty laid back, except that I can't tell if they're yelling at each other or just talking normally.

The brother-in-law is still between jobs, since they went up on the rent at his pharmacy - he can't afford to keep it open any more, and doesn't seem to want to try to re-locate.

December 21 is the Winter Solstice, shortest day of the year. I recall in the area where we lived they celebrated this, but it was not a big deal like spring festival. I usually didn't participate as the traditional meal in our locale involved Dog Hotpot.

Guest ExChinaExpat

Yes - we get together with the in-laws every year, but it's pretty laid back, except that I can't tell if they're yelling at each other or just talking normally.

The brother-in-law is still between jobs, since they went up on the rent at his pharmacy - he can't afford to keep it open any more, and doesn't seem to want to try to re-locate.

December 21 is the Winter Solstice, shortest day of the year. I recall in the area where we lived they celebrated this, but it was not a big deal like spring festival. I usually didn't participate as the traditional meal in our locale involved Dog Hotpot.

I just don't recall my friends and colleagues in Nanjing ever mentioning or observing this day. It may be mostly Cantonese, at least that is what I am being told now. I immediately noticed the increase in foot and car traffic yesterday that started just after noon time. Later, around 5pm, it was nearly impossible to walk on the streets or get a taxi. But, we were hungry and headed out to a nice Italian restaurant for dinner. We tried to flag a taxi for about ten minutes, but it was clear that the streets were lined with others also trying to get a taxi. So, we headed out to another street in hopes of more success. In a couple of minutes a couple of private drivers stopped. The first wanted 60 yuan for the ride. We pondered for a couple of minutes and then I convinced my friends that we should take the next private ride available. Within a minute another private driver stopped and offered a ride for 50 yuan. We took it. It was a safe ride to our destination, and a wonderful authentic Italian dinner. It would not have been possible to get a seat in any Chinese restaurant last night, so this worked out great.

Anyway, all was over in the morning. Last night, neighbors were burning paper in the halls of the high-rise apartment building. Eye-watering smoke and smell in the halls. I think why not just go downstairs and outside to do it instead of creating so much smoke and danger in the building. But, it's Rome, right?

Edited by GuangDongExpat (see edit history)