Phone service while in China

NUWorld, I have to disagree with you, maybe. It depends on the circumstances. I am visiting China now. I was just on the internet trying to get AT&T to unlock my 3 month old Galaxy S-4 phone. Currently they will not unlock it. During the daytime when my Lao Po is working I like to wander around town by myself. I would like to have access to google. I am just starting to use Google translate. At home it is a bit spotty. But I would always like to have an easy and quick way to contact my Lao Po. Also when I am shopping for something I want to bring up pictures of what I am looking for. So that I can show the clerk a photo of what I am looking for. Right now I am borrowing the Lao Po's older Nokia cell. Not that good for me. Everything is in Chinese. I am considering buying a cheaper Android phone for use when I am in China on this trip. Also would like to get a ball park figure how much it will cost me to use the phone in China for a month. I remember once that we were in Beijing and we got separate when boarding a bus. I was like a lost puppy until they came back and retrieved me. :bye2: Danb

Nuworld , Can you tell me what that 6 bucks get you? Can you use the internet and make calls in China for no additional cost? If so that is a good deal. I don't think AT&T will do that. Thanks

As for the Galaxy s-4 i have no idea with at&t

But with Verizon with international calling you get is all.

text,voice and internet.

Text and voice is free but you will pay up the ass for data/internet and roaming cost.

For Verizon i just turn off data and roaming and only use voice and text.

If i need internet i just go back to our house and use the computer.

Like i have said before, while in china i see no need for a phone.

the only ones I'm talking/texting to might be my sister in law asking where are you?

Dinner is on the table!!

I was wanting to use it for the internet more than anything else. I dont have a tablet or laptop. I take my phone everywhere, so I didn't think about not having it.

Todd:

I'll say this as nice as i can but to the point!

This is your first trip to China and will not be your last.

If you really need the internet and I'm sure your staying in a hotel on your first trip.

The hotel will have internet for ya.

Trust me on this first trip your going 7000 miles on the other side of the world.

once there your eyes will be wide open and not even thinking about the internet.

Just enjoy the new world and your girl.

You'll have plenty of time for the internet later.

let it go my friend!! and have a wonderful time in china.

You'll love it.

Mike

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)
  • Like 1

NUWorld, I have to disagree with you, maybe. It depends on the circumstances. I am visiting China now. I was just on the internet trying to get AT&T to unlock my 3 month old Galaxy S-4 phone. Currently they will not unlock it. During the daytime when my Lao Po is working I like to wander around town by myself. I would like to have access to google. I am just starting to use Google translate. At home it is a bit spotty. But I would always like to have an easy and quick way to contact my Lao Po. Also when I am shopping for something I want to bring up pictures of what I am looking for. So that I can show the clerk a photo of what I am looking for. Right now I am borrowing the Lao Po's older Nokia cell. Not that good for me. Everything is in Chinese. I am considering buying a cheaper Android phone for use when I am in China on this trip. Also would like to get a ball park figure how much it will cost me to use the phone in China for a month. I remember once that we were in Beijing and we got separate when boarding a bus. I was like a lost puppy until they came back and retrieved me. :bye2: Danb

Nuworld , Can you tell me what that 6 bucks get you? Can you use the internet and make calls in China for no additional cost? If so that is a good deal. I don't think AT&T will do that. Thanks

You can purchase unlock codes from several websites, along with the instructions for how to do this - Google "unlock < my phone >" (use the brand name of your phone). I did this with my Blackberry when I came here in 2009.

Yes, we pay something like $1.50USD a month for my data plan