How to apply for a green card in China

Randy W

I'm not sure of exactly what's new here, but this was a new article in the People's Daily on the 18th. No mention is made of residency requirements prior to applying. My understanding there is that you must have lived in China for at least six months of each of 5 years before applying. As far as I know, that requirement has NOT been relaxed.

The D-visa mentioned in the article is simply to allow you to enter the country (after your residence permit is approved??)

How to apply for a green card in China

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90782/8459176.html

"The Regulations on Examination and Approval of Permanent Residence of Alien in China" were issued on Aug 15, 2013, under which China created a permanent residence card, commonly known as the "green card" system, to grant qualified foreigners the right to live in China.

Foreigners who hold valid passports and a Chinese green card are not restricted in the duration of their stay in China, and they can also enter and exit China without a visa.

. . .

Aliens who are granted permanent resident in China will receive an “Alien Permanent Permit” signed by the Public Security Bureau. Applicants filing from abroad will receive a “Form of Confirmation of Alien Permanent Permit”; they must then present themselves at the relevant Chinese embassy or consulate in their country of residence for a D visa, then obtain their Alien Permanent Permit from the public security unit within 30 days after entering China.

The PRP (Premanent Resident Permit) allows one a lot of the same privileges as Chinese citizens, including work, school, social insurance, etc.

Like I've said, I believe the new regulations for the most part simply clarify and organize the prior regulations, and cause the PSB to actually read the directions.

Very interesting indeed. Saved for future reference. Even though I already have 5 years in China, I have only been back in China continuously since 2010, and as such will probably be applying for this in the summer of 2015. At some point we will most likely make a transition back to the U.S. and have our "home base" there as opposed to our current home base of Beijing, so maintaining the .......

"4 Your accumulated stay in a year is less than three months, or your accumulated stay in a period of five years in China is less than one year, without permission. "

...... at that time could become slightly tricky, but more than likely not a problem.

For this requirement - do you read it as a mandatory minimum of 3 months each year OR 15 months in total during the course of each five year period? So for example, would I be able to not be in China for 3 consecutive years but then spend the following 2 years continuously in China to put myself over the 15 month cut-off?

Very interesting indeed. Saved for future reference. Even though I already have 5 years in China, I have only been back in China continuously since 2010, and as such will probably be applying for this in the summer of 2015. At some point we will most likely make a transition back to the U.S. and have our "home base" there as opposed to our current home base of Beijing, so maintaining the .......

"4 Your accumulated stay in a year is less than three months, or your accumulated stay in a period of five years in China is less than one year, without permission. "

...... at that time could become slightly tricky, but more than likely not a problem.

For this requirement - do you read it as a mandatory minimum of 3 months each year OR 15 months in total during the course of each five year period? So for example, would I be able to not be in China for 3 consecutive years but then spend the following 2 years continuously in China to put myself over the 15 month cut-off?

It seems to say that if you get permission to NOT satisfy the "three cumulative months every year" rule, that you you still must satisfy the "one cumulative year in five years" rule, but I wouldn't place much stock in the specifics in that article.