Jump the Pond

Guest ExChinaExpat

Guest ExChinaExpat

I'm pretty confident that China censors read this board all day, every day. And, with the new pledges coming from China to tighten controls on the Internet, have long wondered whether they would ever actually begin blocking bypasses to their great wall. This morning, I noticed that during the night that my gate through the wall was unexpectedly closed. It's hard to know whether it's a technical glitch with my keymaster, or whether a geek Chinese tech-tool thing is meddling. Anyone else having a problem getting out?

Yes, I am also, but it doesn't seem to be affected by switching my VPN connection, or whether I'm even on a VPN at all.

I believe it's due to increasing use of cloud distribution technology by our IPB board software, and some bugs in that technology that NEED to be worked out (it should be IMPROVING performance, not DESTROYING it).

Several of us have had problems posting embedded videos, for example. I often have trouble posting a labeled link, and often get a 'server not available' error. As far as I can tell, it's just a sporadic and often failed downloading of board software to your computer.

Blame it on the cloud.

But with the VPN's, I believe they monitor traffic to a specific web site. When they notice a lot of VPN-like traffic going to a single web site, they can (and do) throttle that traffic. They could do this without knowing specifically that that site IS a VPN server. I try to switch to a better performing server when that happens.

Guest ExChinaExpat

Yes, I am also, but it doesn't seem to be affected by switching my VPN connection, or whether I'm even on a VPN at all.

I believe it's due to increasing use of cloud distribution technology by our IPB board software, and some bugs in that technology that NEED to be worked out (it should be IMPROVING performance, not DESTROYING it).

Several of us have had problems posting embedded videos, for example. I often have trouble posting a labeled link, and often get a 'server not available' error. As far as I can tell, it's just a sporadic and often failed downloading of board software to your computer.

Blame it on the cloud.

But with the VPN's, I believe they monitor traffic to a specific web site. When they notice a lot of VPN-like traffic going to a single web site, they can (and do) throttle that traffic. They could do this without knowing specifically that that site IS a VPN server. I try to switch to a better performing server when that happens.

Interesting. A little geek blocks the door, so we distract him, kick him in the kneecaps, and run through the other door.

Edited by GuangDongExpat (see edit history)

Guest ExChinaExpat

Contacted my veep company and explained the difficulty this morning. They are aware of it, but as yet not clear as to the cause. Looks like some very clever engineering blocking going on.

Guest ExChinaExpat

I'm getting good performance so far this morning, including YouTube and Facebook. Haven't noticed anything, but yes, different areas seem to see different effects from the activities.

Yes, whatever it was seems to have cleared up for now. I don't know whether it's a problem with the service, or a problem with the 100,000 + info highway geeks. They told me they were aware of an issue and were working on it, but were unsure as to the source, stating it might be within China as they are doing new things.