The 'Jeep' Brand in China

I posted earlier about buying Jeep clothing, and that it was the only brand I could find in my sizes. http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/45352-from-yulin/?p=603989

There's a new store near us that is also carrying the clothing.

Apparently, it's a brand with a lot of appeal.

Jeeps Sell for $189,750 as China Demand Offsets Tariffs
Jeep gear is so popular in China that there are more than 1,500 licensed clothing outlets in the country, where only 120 auto dealers sell the brand. While Jeep has a strong image connected to an adventurous lifestyle, three decades of changing ownership have left it without local production and missing out on surging demand for SUVs in the world’s largest vehicle market.

gallery_1846_633_159885.jpg

gallery_1846_633_323931.jpg

Didn't know that Jeep was getting so popular over there. I own a Jeep and I love it. Maybe I ought to take some photos of it, especially when it is caked in mud, and mail them to you Randy. You could put them on t-shirts with a clever slogan and make a fortune.

Lil rabbit told me 4 years ago, when she was still in Chinartucky, she likes Jeep....big black Jeep.

We're waitin' on the VA doc from the Yellow Team to schedule her physical she needs to take the test for her learners permit. Get the license baby, I'll buy you a big black Jeep.

• Like 1

Didn't know that Jeep was getting so popular over there. I own a Jeep and I love it. Maybe I ought to take some photos of it, especially when it is caked in mud, and mail them to you Randy. You could put them on t-shirts with a clever slogan and make a fortune.

It's fairly good quality clothing At $15-20 an item, well, I'll stick with the customer end of things

http://s.taobao.com/search?q=jeep&keyword=&commend=all&ssid=s5-e&search_type=item&atype=&tracelog=&sourceId=tb.index&rt=1383224466560&source=haiwaigou&pid=mm_14507416_2297358_8935934&unid=

http://img03.taobaocdn.com/imgextra/i3/76310806/T2XIbSXjlaXXXXXXXX_!!76310806.jpg

It's fairly good quality clothing At $15-20 an item, well, I'll stick with the customer end of things

http://s.taobao.com/search?q=jeep&keyword=&commend=all&ssid=s5-e&search_type=item&atype=&tracelog=&sourceId=tb.index&rt=1383224466560&source=haiwaigou&pid=mm_14507416_2297358_8935934&unid=

http://img03.taobaocdn.com/imgextra/i3/76310806/T2XIbSXjlaXXXXXXXX_!!76310806.jpg

I was thinking about this as I was driving back from Publix, where I went to buy a few supplies for this nasty weather we got rolling in today. Given the Chinese tendency to see autos as connected with face, as exemplified by their affection for BMW and Lexus, you would think rather than Jeep, they would go for Land Rover. Whaddaya think? Maybe in Hong Kong?

I was thinking about this as I was driving back from Publix, where I went to buy a few supplies for this nasty weather we got rolling in today. Given the Chinese tendency to see autos as connected with face, as exemplified by their affection for BMW and Lexus, you would think rather than Jeep, they would go for Land Rover. Whaddaya think? Maybe in Hong Kong?

Land Rover is fairly popular here, considering the price

High prices fail to dampen Chinese obsession with Range Rover

http://www.scmp.com/news/china-insider/article/1296916/high-prices-fail-dampen-chinese-obsession-range-rover

The OP refers to the JEEP clothing stores, which are all over the place, at least in Beijing.

And, Converse - esp Chuck Taylors in a huge range of flavors - continue to be hugely popular (there are Converse stores, too).

My GF bought me a Levi's wallet at the Joy City Levi's store last week when I was there; there are Lee's stores, too.

New Balance Classic style shoes are flavor of the month right now, too. Very difficult to find in the US.

Greg

Hi Greg, welcome to Candle. Yes, China has certainly come a long way in terms of the availability of western goods and brands. When I lived over there (1997-2003), you could hardly find any genuine western goods, especially clothing. You could find plenty of knock-offs (I had a nice pair of Adibas sports shoes - that's Adibas with a "b.") Also, had some great Poom house shoes (Puma). My first year in China, spent in Hefei, the capital of Anhui, they were just getting in their first jars of Skippy peanut butter. By the time we left China the second city where we lived (Shantou in Guangdong) had a fully stocked Wal Mart. In the larger cities and the developed coastal areas you can find many western outlets these days. In the hinterland and out west, things can still be a bit hit and miss. In Randy's post, the article spoke of the Jeep dealerships in China and how expensive the vehicles were. Sales were lower than hoped for but Jeep, along with the associated clothing, has a very positive image it seems.

I was joking with Randy about the t-shirts. Maybe he could put a photo of a mud-dripping Jeep on the back, with a slogan: "When the going gets tough, the tough get going." :happy2:

Again, welcome aboard and we hope to hear from you often.

Edited by Mick (see edit history)

I'm not sure if ironic is the right word, but I thought it interesting that Jeep ought to be trying to sell it's cars in China, and was instead so successful with their line of clothing

I've even seen ads on AliBaba for containers-full of unbranded clothing from this company, to be sent to foreign markets. Maybe Mitt Romney was right - maybe Jeep IS shifting production to China.

Hi Greg, welcome to Candle. ......

[s n i p] .......

Again, welcome aboard and we hope to hear from you often.

Thanks, Mick. I've been working in China off and on over the last year and a half and .....

..... 6 months ago met someone! :pash:

And, for various reasons, though marriage isn't exactly being fast-tracked, planning and knowing the strategies for it would be a good thing right now.

This is the best site for all-around completeness and accuracy!

Greg