Tourist Visa vs. Chinese Travel Document

My wife (currently PRC citizen) and I (American) had our eldest child born in northern China. Immediately after birth, we rushed our son to the US Embassy in Beijing to obtain a birth certificate and US Passport. Since then, we have moved to the US, and my wife has obtained a Green Card. Today our son is 4-and-a-half years old, and we are planning his first visit China.

When we went to the Chinese Consulate to apply for a tourist L Visa, the Consulate declined our visa application and asked us to apply for a Chinese Travel Document (旅行证) on the basis that my wife obtained her Green Card AFTER he was born in China.

Despite being cheaper ($25 versus $140), I am reluctant to apply for a Chinese Travel Document. Instead of a visa that gets glued into a page of your US Passport, the Travel Document actually resembles a passport book. I have heard that, upon entering with a Travel Document, Chinese immigration does not stamp your US Passport showing the date of entry. I imagine this presents questions with US immigration when returning home. Most importantly I believe it's a matter of principle: If my son is American, why should he be carrying around anything issued by a foreign government during his travels? It doesn't feel right.

Does anyone have experience with Chinese Travel Documents? Or with experience in applying for L Visas after September 1, 2013 for an American born in China?

Sounds straight forward to me, the document allows entry and exit from China, the US Passport allows travel and re-entry to the USA.

My wife and I have traveled to Canada many times, and not once have they stamped our passport, and not once has the US POE looked for any entry exit stamps from a foreign country.

US Immigration should have no questions about foreign country entry exit stamps.

What was apparently missing (correct me if I'm wrong) from your visa application was the exit visa (actually a separate booklet similar to the travel document) you used for the baby when exiting China.

The consulate generally requires the Chinese passport from a first-time American citizen who was born in China. In the case of a new born who never acquires a Chinese passport, the exit visa is required.

The travel document functions as a passport while in China. Remember that he is still considered a Chinese citizen by the Chinese authorities ( at least at the consulate).

I would expect that he would be issued an actual visa with his next application - be sure to include the travel document with it.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I can't say that I know the answer to this, but will the Travel Document allow him to exit China to return to the U.S.? I wonder if he'll need another exit visa at that point

If you still have the original exit visa, you might submit that to the consulate and see if they won't give you a real visa.

• 8 months later...

I'm in a similar situation. My wife (Chinese) and I (American) have just had a son and we got his American passport from the embassy in Beijing. My wife has just received her immigrant visa so now we want to go back to the US with our son. My friend who was in a situation just went to the local PSB here in Tianjin and they were able to issue him a "Travel Document" in about a week. That's what we were planning on doing but learned today that the local Tianjin PSB won't issue him the travel document but instead told us that we have to go to Inner Mongolia because that's where my wife's 户口 (hukou) is. Is it possible to get an exit visa instead? And if so would it be easier that having to go all the way to Inner Mongolia to apply for it?

I'm in a similar situation. My wife (Chinese) and I (American) have just had a son and we got his American passport from the embassy in Beijing. My wife has just received her immigrant visa so now we want to go back to the US with our son. My friend who was in a situation just went to the local PSB here in Tianjin and they were able to issue him a "Travel Document" in about a week. That's what we were planning on doing but learned today that the local Tianjin PSB won't issue him the travel document but instead told us that we have to go to Inner Mongolia because that's where my wife's 户口 (hukou) is. Is it possible to get an exit visa instead? And if so would it be easier that having to go all the way to Inner Mongolia to apply for it?

Sorry to respond with the obvious here - but, what did they say when you asked?

You need to work with the PSB on this - we can't tell you what they're going to say.

You might also check this topic - http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/46311-new-policy-for-chinese-born-baby-for-exit/

The OP ended up getting a 'Pro-forma' visa (a visitor's visa for an American citizen, but in the Chinese passport) to allow his baby to exit China.

You need to work with the PSB on this - we can't tell you what they're going to say.

Thanks for your response. I actually haven't asked them yet. I wanted to see if anyone had been in a similar situation and see what the pros and cons might be or to see if it was even possible. But again, I suppose that's a question the PSB could probably answer for me.

I have read through the other thread that you sent me a link to and I see that the Travel Document and the Exit Visa are indeed two different documents but I'm still not clear as to the difference. From as far as I can tell the Travel Document can be good for a period of time but the Exit Visa is usually only good for exiting China one time. Is that correct?

Thanks for your response. I actually haven't asked them yet. I wanted to see if anyone had been in a similar situation and see what the pros and cons might be or to see if it was even possible. But again, I suppose that's a question the PSB could probably answer for me.

I have read through the other thread that you sent me a link to and I see that the Travel Document and the Exit Visa are indeed two different documents but I'm still not clear as to the difference. From as far as I can tell the Travel Document can be good for a period of time but the Exit Visa is usually only good for exiting China one time. Is that correct?

Again - it's simply that we can't tell you what they will say. As in the other thread, you may find out that NEITHER can be issued, since they are not issued to Chinese citizens. Your baby is considered a Chinese citizen under the Nationality Law of the People's Republic of China. Your PSB MAY (or may not) extend him the courtesy of allowing him to exit China. If not, you will need to talk to your American consulate about the 'pro-forma' visa.

" I wanted to see if anyone had been in a similar situation" - yes - the link was to a thread from someone who wanted to leave China with an American citizen baby who had been born in China to a Chinese citizen mother.

Prior to Nov., 2013, the usual procedure was to simply get an exit visa, which were fairly routinely issued. A travel document might be issued instead of a passport - but, again - work with your PSB on this.

Whatever document is issued, be sure to KEEP the document. It will need to be filed with the baby's American passport the first time he applies for a visa to return to China.

Your friend holds a passport from what country?

Thanks again for the useful information. My friend, like me, was also an American passport holder. The only difference was that his wife had a Tianjin hukou and my wife has a hukou from Inner Mongolia. My wife is currently working with the PSB to see if there is anything we can do to not have to travel to her home town before we leave the country but it's looking like that may be the easiest route.

Thanks again for the useful information. My friend, like me, was also an American passport holder. The only difference was that his wife had a Tianjin hukou and my wife has a hukou from Inner Mongolia. My wife is currently working with the PSB to see if there is anything we can do to not have to travel to her home town before we leave the country but it's looking like that may be the easiest route.

Hopefully, this means they've relaxed that earlier policy from the link I posted about not issuing exit visas - I've always figured it was an unworkable policy.

Unfortunately, yes - you may have to travel, depending on which PSB can help you. But you can rest assured that if they DO issue a document, no matter what it is, it WILL allow your baby to exit the country. Like I said, just plan on including a copy of it with his first visa application for a return trip to China.

I would plan on getting your son his Chinese passport when you go to your wife's Hokou city. When it arrives you will have to file for a visa with the US consulate for a a visa in his Chinese passport. It will be an easy process as far as the US consulate goes. Just a pain waiting for the babies Chinese passport to arrive. Once our daughters passport arrived we filed and had the US visa in her Chinese passport within 10 day's.

Good luck. Any questions just ask, we went thru this process last fall.

I would plan on getting your son his Chinese passport when you go to your wife's Hokou city. When it arrives you will have to file for a visa with the US consulate for a a visa in his Chinese passport. It will be an easy process as far as the US consulate goes. Just a pain waiting for the babies Chinese passport to arrive. Once our daughters passport arrived we filed and had the US visa in her Chinese passport within 10 day's.

Good luck. Any questions just ask, we went thru this process last fall.

But if he can get the exit visa or travel document through his wife's hukou, he should be good to go without the Chinese passport. Like I said, hopefully, that policy has reverted - which is what his friend found out, at least in Tianjin

• 3 weeks later...

My wife (currently PRC citizen) and I (American) had our eldest child born in northern China. Immediately after birth, we rushed our son to the US Embassy in Beijing to obtain a birth certificate and US Passport. Since then, we have moved to the US, and my wife has obtained a Green Card. Today our son is 4-and-a-half years old, and we are planning his first visit China.

When we went to the Chinese Consulate to apply for a tourist L Visa, the Consulate declined our visa application and asked us to apply for a Chinese Travel Document (旅行证) on the basis that my wife obtained her Green Card AFTER he was born in China.

Despite being cheaper ($25 versus $140), I am reluctant to apply for a Chinese Travel Document. Instead of a visa that gets glued into a page of your US Passport, the Travel Document actually resembles a passport book. I have heard that, upon entering with a Travel Document, Chinese immigration does not stamp your US Passport showing the date of entry. I imagine this presents questions with US immigration when returning home. Most importantly I believe it's a matter of principle: If my son is American, why should he be carrying around anything issued by a foreign government during his travels? It doesn't feel right.

Does anyone have experience with Chinese Travel Documents? Or with experience in applying for L Visas after September 1, 2013 for an American born in China?

We had the same issue. My son was born in China. When we went back to the USA on his passport, everything was fine. It was when we applied for his travel visa back to China that they also gave us the Chinese Travel Document. It turns out he was considered a Chinese citizen because he was born in China. We then had to get his Chinese citizenship removed when we came back to China.