Chongyang (Double 9) Festival

Seems like another version of Qing Ming, to me. We visited Jiaying's ma-ternal grandmother's last residence and burial ground (nearby), and cleaned it up just like for her pa-ternal ancestors on Qing Ming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chongyang_Festival

On this holiday some Chinese also visit the graves of their ancestors to pay their respects.

Her ma-ternal grandmother, Jiaying tells me, was more of a peasant type, needed to work in the field, and so didn't have to endure the foot binding that her pa-ternal grandmother did.

Jiaying spent her first seven years on this property, before she went to attend school in Yulin. The building she lived in is no longer there - after a couple of deaths in the family (a 24 year-old uncle, and a 10 year-old son of another uncle), she (the grandmother) moved to this smaller building next to the old one.

gallery_1846_675_1362926.jpg

Some of our relatives on that side. Notice the water pump. It still looks functional, but un-primed. The old house was off to the right in this picture.

gallery_1846_675_1314904.jpg

An idyllic scene nearby. Lots of hibiscus flowers nearby

gallery_1846_675_1368767.jpg

• Like 1

Offerings for the deceased. Now, I know that she's lived in Yulin all her life, but I have to question - a Chinese person who squats without her heels on the ground? Maybe I caught her leaning forward, or something

gallery_1846_675_735631.jpg

. . . and the requisite forecrackers

gallery_1846_675_981470.jpg