Chinese Adoptions Aren't Always What They Seem to Be

This is from the Global Times

The missing link

His work materialized into Research China in 2003, a small business that he runs out of his Utah home, where he now resides with his Chinese wife, Lan, who he met in 2002, on one of his trips to China.

At the core of the business is Stuy's subscription-only blog (The Rest of the Story), which publishes information he and his wife - with the help of some dozen fixers in various pockets of China - uncover about children in China who are adopted by American parents.

. . .

The Chinese parents in Henan Province, who Stuy finally managed to track down in 2009, still believe the Stuys are her English teachers.

"When my wife met them, we didn't have the heart to break the sad news to them," he said, explaining that when 12-year-old Meilan finishes school it will be up to her to decide whether she stays in the US or goes back to China - but admitted the latter is unlikely as his "all-American-girl" has no interest right now in returning to meet her birth parents.

Stuy said that the harsh and devastating reality is that an alarming number of American parents have adopted Chinese kids who were obtained through illegitimate means. He believes that a majority of the some 25,000 cases he has looked into over the years, involving Chinese kids adopted mostly by American parents, were the result of some kind of adoption scandal.

But because it is so hard to track down the birth parents for many of these kids, he has only been able to prove that some dozen of the children were indeed passed to orphanages or adoption agencies in China by child-traffickers. And in each of these cases, none of the Chinese children have gone back to their birth parents - and learning the truth has been extremely hard on both the Chinese and American parents, said Stuy.

. . .

Earlier this year in July, Chinese and foreign news reports exposed that doctors in Fuping, Shaanxi Province, had told parents their newborn babies were born with severe complications and did not survive and instead sold the babies to orphanages.

. . .

"There are still American parents who disagree with what I do - they think I'm running on some kind of ulterior motive, trying to get these orphanages shut down," he said. "But I don't have an agenda. I just want these kids to have the truth, even if it turns out to be hurtful."

"At the end of the day, I believe that the truth can be a liberating force in the life of an adopted child," he added.