Mid-Autumn Festival Foods

. . . from Xinhua

Top 10 Mid-Autumn Festival foods in China

If anyone is wondering, # 9 pretty well explains why I won't be developing a taste for seafood in China

Top 9 River Snails

River Snails are the Mid-Autumn Festival specialty of Guangzhou City. They might look unappetizing and smell unpleasant when raw, but after being cooked with several herbs and spices to drive out the putrid odor, the delicacy is an indispensable food on the Mid-Autumn Festival dinner table for the people in Guangzhou. The festival is the best season to eat snails and eating them is believed to help brighten the eyesight.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/photo/2013-09/18/132730482_14181n.jpg

. . . from Xinhua

If anyone is wondering, # 9 pretty well explains why I won't be developing a taste for seafood in China

Top 9 River Snails

River Snails are the Mid-Autumn Festival specialty of Guangzhou City. They might look unappetizing and smell unpleasant when raw, but after being cooked with several herbs and spices to drive out the putrid odor, the delicacy is an indispensable food on the Mid-Autumn Festival dinner table for the people in Guangzhou. The festival is the best season to eat snails and eating them is believed to help brighten the eyesight.

They taste good Randy!

Whats wrong with you ?

:)

. . . from Xinhua

Top 9 River Snails

They taste good Randy!

Whats wrong with you ?

My wife eats snails occasionally. She loves them. So do the French.

. . . from Xinhua

Top 9 River Snails

They taste good Randy!

Whats wrong with you ?

What bothers me is the thought of what they MARINATE in for their entire lives.

The difference between fresh water shrimp and salt water shrimp is another example of what I'm talking about, but it's more the salty flavor that comes out there.

Anything that comes from a river and smells bad is NOT something I want on my dinner plate, even if it's effectively disguised.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Just gotta make sure your river worms come from upstream, instead of downstream....that old adage about poop rolling downhill n' all.

Poisonally, I wouldn't touch them with Moe, or even Larry's lips...LOL Thank God I never saw that at any restaurants we went to or or at Wenyan's folks....I ate everything put in front of me in Chinar, but THAT mess, I'd have to close my eyes before grabbin' a handful...I'm NOT French at all, heck, I don't even plant trees along the boulevards so the Germans can march in the shade either.

Bonar petite ex-pats, happy hollardayz... Randy, would ya please tell the Swede to eat a few dozen river worms for me? How is that ol' boy doin' anyhow?

tsap seui

Just gotta make sure your river worms come from upstream, instead of downstream....that old adage about poop rolling downhill n' all.

Poisonally, I wouldn't touch them with Moe, or even Larry's lips...LOL Thank God I never saw that at any restaurants we went to or or at Wenyan's folks....I ate everything put in front of me in Chinar, but THAT mess, I'd have to close my eyes before grabbin' a handful...I'm NOT French at all, heck, I don't even plant trees along the boulevards so the Germans can march in the shade either.

Bonar petite ex-pats, happy hollardayz... Randy, would ya please tell the Swede to eat a few dozen river worms for me? How is that ol' boy doin' anyhow?

tsap seui

Thank ya very much! He's hanging in there. Pissed a few more people off, and became more of a hermit recently, but I heard from him a few days back. I'll pass it along.

In other news from Nanning - another Nanning resident - Michael Enho2 (user name on some of these forums) - passed away VERY recently. Cremation scheduled for Saturday.

I've eaten snails since I was a kid but I understand how some can't. If you really want a strange earthy taste try grubs. Snap their head off first.

Cook'em first. Good protein but the taste is to be remembered.

I cannot stand the moon cakes. Never have liked the duck egg inside. Sort of a contradictory flavor.

But it's one of my favorite festivals. The Chinese here go all out. Dinner was great.