Qigong in China

Just to clarify, this from Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qigong#Controversy

There is little controversy concerning the benefit of qigong when the definition of qigong is limited to a series of physical movements and a set of relaxation exercises. Conflict has arisen when the claims made by proponents of qigong border on the supernatural.

Some researchers have labeled the subject matter of qigong as a pseudoscience. In addition, some claim that the origin and nature of qigong practice has led to misconceptions and misuses, including psychiatric problems and the formation of cults

Skepticism towards qigong is also applied to the field of Traditional Chinese medicine, and extends to the broader subject of alternative medicine. The basic problem is that the information available from these fields often does not fit scientific acceptability or medical interpretation, and is difficult to replicate using double-blind control studies. Skeptics contend that most of the benefits derived from Alternative medicine are, at best, derived from a placebo effect.

Qigong ‘masters’ struggle to survive

Wang Lin, 61, a millionaire who made his fortune out of self-proclaimed qigong mastery, has recently met with public outrage and scrutiny surrounding his "supernatural power," alongside accusations of swindling, illegal medical practice, illegal gun ownership and bribery.

The case has brought pseudo-masters who claim to have special abilities back into the spotlight.

Following an anti-superstition campaign in the late 1990s and early 2000s, most "qigong" sects, including those which claimed millions of followers, were declared illegal and disbanded, while their masters were detained or fled overseas.

. . .

Compared with similar figures in the 1980s and 1990s, Wang and Li are small fry, He said.

Zhang Hongbao was one such founder of Zhong Gong, a spiritual movement based on qigong that was later declared an evil cult and banned in 1999 after amassing 3 million devotees, according to He. People then were fascinated by Zhang's claimed power to cure cancer and disabilities such as blindness and deafness.

Another "qigong master," Yan Xin, who boasted that he could put out forest fires and change the trajectory of missiles had up to 2 million disciples.

. . .

But such a period could not reappear today, since the national awareness about science has been greatly improved, he concluded.

. . .

In late 1990, several sects were declared as cults and banned and their founders were on the warrants, including Zhong Gong. Some leaders fled overseas, some were arrested, others went underground and more changed career paths.

Trying to make qigong fit the within the framework of scientific study is like trying to clear a forest with a butter knife. It just ain't gonna work. Qigong, and other similar practices, developed and evolved long before the scientific method came into existence. The benefits of qigong are undeniable and have little to do with the so-called "placebo effect." To make the statement that qigong benefits are placebo effects reveals that the author has no real understanding of qigong. Sure, there are charlatans and snake oil salesmen who pass themselves off as qigong masters, but to dismiss qigong because of this is to throw the baby out with the bath water. Besides, trying to use science to explain supernatural phenomena is like trying to eat a bowl of soup with a fork, it is just the wrong tool. Don Juan, the old Yaqui medicine man in Castenada's books, used to say that reality to be divided into two aspects, the "tonal" and the "nagual." The tonal was that which we could explain and understand using our reason, logic, science, etc. The Nagual was the vast realm of the unknown. The tonal was like a small island in the vast sea of the Nagual. The laws of the tonal were not only useless in the Nagual, they were dangerous.

I have studied and practiced qigong since 1985 and found it to be highly beneficial, at least to me.

Can't say that I know enough to distinguish the baby from the bath water or where the line is between 'real qigong' and the cult versions, but it seemed to me that the article was directed at the qigong masters - the "charlatans and snake oil salesmen who pass themselves off as qigong masters", and not qigong itself.

In fact, the last section, titled 'Real Qigong', seems to echo your opinion, although it does try to separate the supernatural claims from the more factual.

Li Shudong believes that the fake masters will have little influence on individual beliefs in qigong. But he does not rule out worries that some people will cast the entire practice into doubt.

"Qigong is scientific, not supernatural. In a narrow sense, qigong movements can enhance fitness and health. It's true that it can relieve physiological problems through psychological techniques," Li said, adding that the number of non-Chinese qigong practitioners is increasing.

Twenty years ago when he arrived in the US, qigong movements were scarcely seen in parks and the practitioners were nearly all Chinese. But now, foreigners are seen practicing qigong in many parks in major cities.

Chen Xinmei echoed this opinion.

"As the government-led promotion for normal qigong, as well as the deeper sense of Chinese culture growing in foreign countries, I'm convinced that more and more people in the world will recognize qigong and benefit from it," Chen said.

In order to regulate the study and practice of qigong, the Health Qigong Management Center, affiliated to the General Administration of Sport of China, was established in 2001.

I quoted the paragraph from Wikipedia to try to clarify that line - but perhaps it simply muddied the water a little.

One thing about articles in the Chinese rags is that they've all passed the mustard (Grey Poop-on, as it may be) of the Communist Party, and so represent a Chinese official position, to one degree or another. Other rags will often pick up articles verbatim from both the People's Daily and Xinhua. Even if only for this reason, it may be both newsworthy and of interest to us, even those that are just an expression of a single author's point of view.

Then again, maybe not.

Qigong comes from extremely ancient practices documented on pottery, silk paper and passed down in various traditional forms. I could give background and history to some degree but I suspect this is not a topic of interest to most. Suffice to say that it falls within the globally known practices of "energy work" as the word itself might breakdown to. While this is much more well known in Asia proper, other countries have very similar practices and abilities which tie them by a common thread of simply achieving something of a connection to the cosmos (universal energy). Such a connection 'opens' the body and mind to access something beyond perception and the senses.

While one can trace back the 'Wu' (Shamans) to such practices/powers as well, the earlier matriarchal society had female Shamans. As modern society is wont to be critical of anything which it cannot experience or prove, we end up with re-writing history to protect our ignorance and ensure we can make sense of everything in this world. But even Confucius wrote of these 'doctor's which is the word used in ancient times of their ability to heal. Later these 'Wu' doctors become labeled more like 'witch doctors' and so one can see the evolution of pejorative labeling through time.

With the march of time, prior belief systems turn to superstition by outsiders; people refuse to accept such old tales and begin a campaign to ensure no one else believes it either. This came to full force with the CCP which sought to dismantle all traditional ideas including a devastating blow to TCM. TCM was part and parcel with Qigong for most of it's history because TCM comes from Qigong roots. The only saving grace is that TCM still utilizes acupuncture and explains everything in terms of Qi flowing through the body.

It should be realized that at one time, Qigong was actually embraced by the state government because it was a welcomed answer to a swelling population which could not be provide medical treatment so easily... and Qigong offered a very proven, preventative approach. The problem occurred that such a strong following occurred that millions were suddenly practicing and it appeared to potentially be a threat to central rule. Then a reversal occurred in the government and a smear campaign began to ensure it was not only banned as a practice but to utter the mere word became equally fearful.... even today. Try talking to someone in China about Qigong and note their facial expression. What they fear is not the superstition of Qigong but the real power of the government's campaign.

I have studied under two Qigong masters and now correspond to a Shaman who has a very secretive lineage. Secret linages started with the tribal area as they sought to keep the 'secrets' to themselves. This all changed once QIgong was banned What this experience as shown me more than anything else is the the 'secrets' are actually still being kept for the most part. Meaning, what was passed to the US is not in many cases the entire lineage... and what people did was claim lineages and powers and charlatans seeking to make money.

There is a known story in the Qing Dynasty (Manchu rule) where the court asked Tai Ji masters to come and teach the court... to refuse meant death but the easy answer was to give the 'external' method but keep the 'internal' methods from them. This continues to some degree today but not simply because they want to hide it but because the internal methods are very difficult to attain the levels expected; and westerners have a harder time of breaking through some of these methods. Most who have practiced it, say they 'know' Tai Ji but generally they know the external methods. I trained with a Taiji master from Taiwan who taught a class at a buddhist temple. One day he invited me to attend the 'chinese only' class... I immediately saw the differences being taught on the 'internal' methods.

I think for the most part, the real teachers are happy to let the masses be ignorant of the real parts... as it is simply too difficult for most to master. Think about Yoga. It is incredibly popular but in its origin, one was supposed to master the six (or so) levels before they did the external method we see in the west. What we have in the west is almost exclusively the external method of yoga.

I agree 1000 percent with everything David just said. His words reflect so much of what I observed when I was living over there. What passes for qigong here in the States is useful and beneficial from a health standpoint, but as David mentioned, it is mostly the external traditions. I am not saying that I am well versed in the inner traditions, as I am not. But from what I do know, internal qigong is very powerful stuff and should be approached with both respect and caution.

I was living in China before the ban on Falun Gong and was also living there when the ban came down (somewhere around 98 or 99). Before the ban, the parks were filled with folks practicing Falun Gong, with the banners hung and the music playing from boom boxes. There were hundreds of people in some gatherings. The overwhelming numbers of people involved eventually became a cause for concern among the powers that be and the practice was banned. It was an amazing thing to see. Overnight the gatherings just vanished. One day they were there, the next, they were gone. Yet it did continue in Hong Kong as I recall.

It takes many years of diligent practice to master the subtleties of qigong. My practice has involved meditation and movement, coupled with breathing exercises and visualization. Yet my involvement, even when I lived in China, was just barely scratching the surface. Healthwise, it has helped me in many ways - especially in dealing with the cardiac issues I have.

David, thanks so much for your post. It was informative and insightful, indeed....

Mick,

What you said about caution is all too true and may actually be part of the reason some true masters don't want to share their way... if they are going to do it they know their physical and spiritual responsibility.

That must of been surreal to see it disappear with such suddenness.

What you describe sounds like what I have heard others call 'stillness-movement' but it may simply be similar in names alone. But I am glad to see you say 'visualization' as that is often a component that is not well understood. But the self-help it affords is tremendous, as you say.