New China Visa Allowing Foreign Spouse to WORK?

Just got finished with an interview for a teaching position in China. My wife is Shanghainese. The recruiter (American) said something about a new VISA in China that allows Chinese citizen's spouse and children to get a visa to go to China AND WORK!

Is this true? Have you heard this before? To go to China and live with my children and my wife, we could get a new visa that allows me to work and isn't dependent on me having a job...?

Nice. not sure if it's true though...
Please inform.

Just got finished with an interview for a teaching position in China. My wife is Shanghainese. The recruiter (American) said something about a new VISA in China that allows Chinese citizen's spouse and children to get a visa to go to China AND WORK!

Is this true? Have you heard this before? To go to China and live with my children and my wife, we could get a new visa that allows me to work and isn't dependent on me having a job...?

Please inform.

There are new regulations and policies in effect which, as far as I can see, simply codify what is already in effect, along with allowing some new possibilities, such as multi-year visas.

In order to work in China, you will need a job. Your employer will then assist you in getting a work permit, and you may apply for a residence permit or L-visa with an unlimited stay. You may apply for these through your local PSB Entry and Exit Bureau.

For the most part, these will be one year duration. After you have lived in China for 5 years, you may be eligible to apply for a permanent residence card (green card) which will allow you to work freely.

For details on what is available for you, check with your local PSB.

• 1 month later...

Please inform.

There are new regulations and policies in effect which, as far as I can see, simply codify what is already in effect, along with allowing some new possibilities, such as multi-year visas.

In order to work in China, you will need a job. Your employer will then assist you in getting a work permit, and you may apply for a residence permit or L-visa with an unlimited stay. You may apply for these through your local PSB Entry and Exit Bureau.

For the most part, these will be one year duration. After you have lived in China for 5 years, you may be eligible to apply for a permanent residence card (green card) which will allow you to work freely.

For details on what is available for you, check with your local PSB.

Randy, do you know what the the requirements are for the permanent residence card (green card)?

It is five years in total in China, five continuous years, five years of paying taxes, etc.?

Thanks.

Dan

Randy, do you know what the the requirements are for the permanent residence card (green card)?

It is five years in total in China, five continuous years, five years of paying taxes, etc.?

Thanks.

Dan

It's five years, with at least six months of every year in China. I think that applies to me only as a spouse of a Chinese citizen.

Thanks.

Dan

It's five years, with at least six months of every year in China. I think that applies to me only as a spouse of a Chinese citizen.

Ohhh, I see. So the five years starts upon marriage and you need five consecutive years in China with at least six months per year in the PRC?

Thanks.

Dan

Ohhh, I see. So the five years starts upon marriage and you need five consecutive years in China with at least six months per year in the PRC?

That's for me. I arrived here on Dec. 9, 2009 already pre-married, so I expect to have satisfied that requirement on Dec. 9, 2014.

I don't think they need to be contiguous, and I don't know if you have to be married (work and/or residence permits may take up some slack, also). Ask the PSB.

I have a handwritten list (in Chinese) that we got from the PSB of what you need to apply. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it says - it probably doesn't address the time in China issue. I'll post it shortly, though.

Thanks.

Dan

That's for me. I arrived here on Dec. 9, 2009 already pre-married, so I expect to have satisfied that requirement on Dec. 9, 2014.

I don't think they need to be contiguous, and I don't know if you have to be married (work and/or residence permits may take up some slack, also). Ask the PSB.

I have a handwritten list (in Chinese) that we got from the PSB of what you need to apply. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it says - it probably doesn't address the time in China issue. I'll post it shortly, though.

Ok, thanks alot for the info, Randy!

As it is though, like you said, probably need to go to my PSB here to ask the details - also a good chance requirements and norms vary from region to region, unfortunately.

This is my new residence permit that I picked up today - it's exactly the same format as the last residence permit I got in 2010 when I was teaching. In the meantime, they had issued me unlimited-stay L-visas, telling us that residence permits were issued only in conjunction with a work permit. The "purpose of Residence" is' tuanju' - unite and gather.

gallery_1846_676_357469.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)