my friend ray is being held up by his f1 visa renewal in shanghai :(

the poor dear came here on a F-1 student visa to attend drexel here. he had to go bad to renew his visa and the process is taking much longer than planned and he is so discouraged he wants to commit suicide. can anyone help me by giving me advice for me to give to him to give him some sort of help or hope about his visa. thanks

the poor dear came here on a F-1 student visa to attend drexel here. he had to go bad to renew his visa and the process is taking much longer than planned and he is so discouraged he wants to commit suicide. can anyone help me by giving me advice for me to give to him to give him some sort of help or hope about his visa. thanks

Patience, patience, patience... that's all your friend can do is wait and have a lot of patience. There is no fast track when it comes to the government immigration process. Most all of us here have had to endure this process and some have even may have either felt like offing themselves or a visa officer sometime during this long arduous wait. :D

Seriously, one has either to learn to occupy their time through distracting activity or just chuck it all in. The very strong tend to make it through to the final visa payoff.

F-1 is for the duration of his studies, and usually doesn't allow any trips home. Applying for a new one simply requires the I-20 from his university and a few weeks. What problems is he experiencing?

Actually an F-1 is a multiple entry visa, however it is set to be valid for 1 year per reciprocity table. In most cases if attending a year of school, more than likely will need to apply for a new one if traveled home.

F-1 is for the duration of his studies, and usually doesn't allow any trips home. Applying for a new one simply requires the I-20 from his university and a few weeks. What problems is he experiencing?

Actually an F-1 is a multiple entry visa, however it is set to be valid for 1 year per reciprocity table. In most cases if attending a year of school, more than likely will need to apply for a new one if traveled home.

Point is, he didn't need to go to China and that he shouldn't have any trouble getting a new one as long as his I-20 is current. A very cryptic original post.

Unfortunately, the consulate usually isn't very communicative about Administrative Processing.

You might try contacting them just to rattle the cage and make sure they're aware of your concerns. I see that classes begin on Sept. 23, so there's probably plenty of time, but I'm sure it's stressful not knowing what's going on.

The contact page for the Shanghai consulate is at http://shanghai.usembassy-china.org.cn/contact.html

You might get your best results through the email form at http://shanghai.usembassy-china.org.cn/visas/contact-us.html