Hey everyone, I've run into an unexpected confusion with the DS-230. I've searched and browsed all over this site, the GUZ embassy site, VJ, and Google, but haven't seen anyone else even mention it. Is this a new/unique situation, or am I just unlucky (read: haphazard) with my searching? Here's the situation:

I filed the I-130 petition at Beijing on June 4. Ten days later I received the NOA2 (petition approved) with instructions, which tell us to (quote): " ... complete and submit the Document Submission Letter [we registered at ustraveldocs, and printed the DSL] along with the above requested items at the nearest CITIC bank. If you fail to take the action requested within one year, your application will be terminated."

They also give a URL for finding CITIC bank locations but just my luck the page "cannot be found." OK, so the wife and I took our documents to the CITIC closest to our apartment, and the nice lady at the front desk told us she didn't think that branch handled these (doesn't ask anyone else or check), and gives us the address and phone number of the branch closest to the embassy. Fine. Then she tells us that the Guangzhou embassy is closed, etc. (it was only after this I learned about the move). Well anyway, my wife calls the other CITIC branch to ask about the forms, and they flatly told her not to say anything specific about what forms (apparently very strictly, like knowing what forms we want to send puts them in jeopardy somehow), and said only to bring the forms in a sealed envelope.

So my questions, for anyone who has done this recently or can help:

Firstly, is this right? Do I need to supply the address the forms are to be sent to? Which address should I use? (Can't use the return address on the NOA, since that's the old address.) The embassy website gives this address: U.S. Consulate General / 43 Hua Jiu Road, Zhujiang New Town / Tianhe District / Guangzhou, China; and says they will be open for service again on July 23. Do you think that's a safe address to use (ensuring the forms will reach the proper people)? Of course there's nothing more specific given in our instructions. I don't want to submit our forms to the bank if they're not even sure what to do with them. Could I mail them myself (EMS)? I emailed the consulate at the beginning of the week, but I assume they're busy with the move and probably won't see it for a while. Any insight, suggestions or verification would be greatly appreciated.

(Sorry for the lengthy explanation. This is quite an annoying snag in our process.)

Perhaps someone will come along shortly who's done this, but follow the directions you're given, in any case.

You need to find the list of bank locations to make sure you submit to the right one. I can't help you there, but maybe someone else can. It sounds like the one who told you about the sealed envelope is one of them, but you may want to make sure.

You submit the sealed envelope TO THE CITIC BANK, NOT to the consulate. If you submit it anywhere else, including the consulate, or to any other address, it's liable to fall into a black hole, and need to be re-submitted.

It can't be over-emphasized - follow the directions you're given. Don't try to second-guess what they're doing, or follow someone else's directions instead.

I believe DCF uses the same document submission process by first going to CGI Stanley and setting this up.

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ --> http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-iv-visaapplyinfo.asp

Dan, the problem is that the list of CITIC banks for document submission is offline. This is a CITIC bank web site that is linked to in the ustraveldocs.com web site.

But again, it HAS to be submitted to a CITIC bank that is a designated Document Drop-off Location

Document Drop-Off Locations - this ustraveldocs.com page has the same broken link, although they do list one 'expedited' site in Guangzhou.

So I should definitely submit the forms to a CITIC bank. That's really all the instructions (from GUZ) tell me.

I agree that the CITIC near the embassy (Beijing) is a safe bet. So we're now planning to go there after the move in GZ has finished, to submit our documents. Wednesday or Thursday this week. Apparently that branch collects all the forms from the other BJ branches and sends them from there to GZ anyway. We went back to the branch near our apartment, talked to a different woman, who told us this.

I'm still not sure how to submit the forms at the bank. The woman we talked to today said to attach a form 221G to the envelope. Nothing about that mentioned in our instructions, and from what I can find, 221G is a rejection notice.

Has anyone else submitted DS-230 recently? How did you give it to the bank? We have a leftover standard FedEx envelope, which the woman today told us would be fine. But I don't know what to write on it. And the people at the bank don't want to know what we're sending, so they won't be any help with that.

Also, I remember on the CGI site, part of the registration is selecting a document pick-up location (where the passport with the visa will be sent), which is also a CITIC bank. I wonder if that list is the same as the document drop-off?

I believe DCF uses the same document submission process by first going to CGI Stanley and setting this up.

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ --> http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-iv-visaapplyinfo.asp

Dan, the problem is that the list of CITIC banks for document submission is offline. This is a CITIC bank web site that is linked to in the ustraveldocs.com web site.

But again, it HAS to be submitted to a CITIC bank that is a designated Document Drop-off Location

Document Drop-Off Locations - this ustraveldocs.com page has the same broken link, although they do list one 'expedited' site in Guangzhou.

Randy, that page you linked to says "If you were issued a 221(g) letter and instructed by the Embassy or Consulate General to submit additional documentation for further processing, you should submit those documents to a CITIC branch, which will deliver your documents to the Embassy or Consulate General."

We got a letter, the instructions, with a checklist, and says we need to include it with our submission. But it doesn't say 221(g) on it or any other number like that anywhere. I wonder whether that letter/checklist is what the CITIC bank expects, and there's just a miscommunication.

Randy, that page you linked to says "If you were issued a 221(g) letter and instructed by the Embassy or Consulate General to submit additional documentation for further processing, you should submit those documents to a CITIC branch, which will deliver your documents to the Embassy or Consulate General."

We got a letter, the instructions, with a checklist, and says we need to include it with our submission. But it doesn't say 221(g) on it or any other number like that anywhere. I wonder whether that letter/checklist is what the CITIC bank expects, and there's just a miscommunication.

A glitch, more so than a miscommunication. What the CITIC bank expects shouldn't make any difference - they are there simply to forward your documents to the consulate. Yes, make a copy of the letter and checklist, and attach it to the envelope.

If they won't accept your submittal for ANY reason, you need to contact the consulate through their email form - http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/immigrant-visa-unit-question.html

I see that ustraveldocs has both email and phone number contacts at http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-main-contactus.asp

Yes, you are on the cutting edge here - don't be shy about getting them to cooperate.

<<What the CITIC bank expects shouldn't make any difference - they are there simply to forward your documents to the consulate.>>

Best advice you could give I think. It's possible the person my wife talked to on the phone was only familiar with cases which used a 221g, and so now expects them all to have one.

So in a couple days my wife will walk into the CITIC branch near the embassy, with our documents in a sealed FedEx envelope, a copy of the checklist taped firmly to the front. I'll post again afterwards about how it goes.

<<What the CITIC bank expects shouldn't make any difference - they are there simply to forward your documents to the consulate.>>

Best advice you could give I think. It's possible the person my wife talked to on the phone was only familiar with cases which used a 221g, and so now expects them all to have one.

So in a couple days my wife will walk into the CITIC branch near the embassy, with our documents in a sealed FedEx envelope, a copy of the checklist taped firmly to the front. I'll post again afterwards about how it goes.

Great. Like I said, you're on the cutting edge here, so any feedback you can give us may help someone else.

Thanks.

Update:

My wife got busy with her job, so I had to bring the packet into the bank: the instructions/checklist sent to us from GUZ, the document submission letter downloaded from CGI, the DS-230, passport photocopy, photos. I didn't have time to go out to the embassy, so I went to another small branch. Brought all the papers in a standard FedEx envelope, but left it unsealed, just in case. I showed the checklist to the woman at the door, and she told me to go to a specific window, the clerk there knows what to do. When I got to the window, the woman came out and looked over the instructions. (There was some confusion here, as I couldn't understand perfectly what they were saying, but they seemed to think I was there to pick up a returned passport, and I had to tell them several times in my broken Chinese that I was trying to send these documents, first-time submission. Eventually we seemed to reach an understanding.)

The clerk looks over the instructions again, very carefully, to make sure it was an original (had to assure her a few times it was), then looked quickly through all the other papers. She seemed to be checking that all the requested documents were present, and that the form was original. Surprise #1: when my wife called, she was told they don't want to know what we were sending. I also thought, it's not your responsibility to check that, but I let her get on with it. When she finished, she gave me back the envelope and the plastic cover, and said OK that's it, you can go. I tried to give them back the envelope, but they said they have their own for sending documents. Surprise #2: my wife was told to bring the documents in an envelope. A worry also: the papers are all loose. But at least they took the documents, and *fingers crossed, breath held* will send them, and they will arrive at their proper destination in tact.

So I still don't know what was all that talk we heard about needing 221g, probably some misunderstanding. And I can't be sure it'll happen like this at every bank.

All in all it went smoothly enough. And now I have the mixed pleasure-suspense of waiting for confirmation the application arrived.

Similar behavior in the old days, the medical center would go through papers and seal for taking to interview.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I just received an email (yesterday) from the Guangzhou Consulate, telling me they received the DS-230, with instructions for scheduling an interview. Seems CITIC sent the forms off, and everything went as expected/hoped.

Huge relief.

The email said to get the instructions for the interview packet at CGI Stanley. I found that with no problem. I haven't received anything in the mail, so I wonder if the Consulate isn't going to send anything further, since all the information is available at CGI now (unless there's still a paper packet on the way).

Question:

The instructions on CGI say to bring original documents, and include the DS-230 in their list. We sent an original DS-230 through the bank. Does this mean that we'll need to fill out and sign a new copy to bring to the interview? Or can we assume they'll have the original we sent them at the interview? Maybe safer to bring a new (original) copy anyway? Does anyone know?

Update:

I just received an email (yesterday) from the Guangzhou Consulate, telling me they received the DS-230, with instructions for scheduling an interview. Seems CITIC sent the forms off, and everything went as expected/hoped.

Huge relief.

The email said to get the instructions for the interview packet at CGI Stanley. I found that with no problem. I haven't received anything in the mail, so I wonder if the Consulate isn't going to send anything further, since all the information is available at CGI now (unless there's still a paper packet on the way).

Question:

The instructions on CGI say to bring original documents, and include the DS-230 in their list. We sent an original DS-230 through the bank. Does this mean that we'll need to fill out and sign a new copy to bring to the interview? Or can we assume they'll have the original we sent them at the interview? Maybe safer to bring a new (original) copy anyway? Does anyone know?

Do you really want to ASSUME anything there? When they expect you to bring something, it's always best to have it ready and follow the instructions you're given.

That applies to document submission, also. I've heard they've changed the policy back to submitting documents directly to the the consulate - that the CITIC bank procedure was causing too many headaches. But FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS YOU"RE GIVEN, even if they're different from what you hear from someone else.

If the Visa Officer is on his toes, I wouldn't expect that you'd have any trouble. A COPY of what you've already submitted SHOULD be enough to show that it's already been submitted. But why not be prepared?

Update:

Huge relief.

Question:

Do you really want to ASSUME anything there? When they expect you to bring something, it's always best to have it ready and follow the instructions you're given.

That applies to document submission, also. I've heard they've changed the policy back to submitting documents directly to the the consulate - that the CITIC bank procedure was causing too many headaches. But FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS YOU"RE GIVEN, even if they're different from what you hear from someone else.

If the Visa Officer is on his toes, I wouldn't expect that you'd have any trouble. A COPY of what you've already submitted SHOULD be enough to show that it's already been submitted. But why not be prepared?

Right. I thought about that after I posted my question. Worst, I figure, is we bring the form and they don't need it, then it's a few pieces of paper needlessly recycled.

Where did you hear GUZ is dropping CITIC? Is that for all document/fee handling, or only for submitting applications? I was told (in that email) to select a passport pick-up location, which seems to be all CITIC banks still.

Right. I thought about that after I posted my question. Worst, I figure, is we bring the form and they don't need it, then it's a few pieces of paper needlessly recycled.

Where did you hear GUZ is dropping CITIC? Is that for all document/fee handling, or only for submitting applications? I was told (in that email) to select a passport pick-up location, which seems to be all CITIC banks still.

The document submission only. Asking a bank to perform the duties of a Post Office has to be one of the more hare-brained ideas the consulate has come up with. The last time I looked, the CITIC Bank web site which listed the locations to submit documents was off line, and I expect still is.

I heard that on VisaJourney.com (http://www.visajourney.com/portals/index.php?country=China). But my point is to follow YOUR directions. You may hear different things about different applications being handled differently, but you need to do as asked, including to choose a passport pick-up location.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)