Cut-throat China: the Toxic Effects of Its Obsession With Wealth

Very interesting article and given the number of Chinese tourists I regularly see shelling out for thousand dollar purses and shoes at the Neiman Marcus at our International Mall, I think the article might be spot on.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2013/07/chinas-zero-sum-game.html

I don't have to look outside the family.

There are very few things my wife and I differ on, but the pursuit of money is one of them.

She says she hates the unbridled capital pursuit in China, but when she appraises someones success, it is always tied to the amount of money they make.

I have been lucky to always make an above average income, but at every opportunity I chose the job I enjoyed doing, not the one that paid the most.

As a result, I have an average household, and average income.

This path would not be considered "smart" by most Chinese I know.

Some smart, but maybe not so smart youngsters

Henan girl, 14, tries purchasing Audi A4 for boyfriend

Remember being 14 years old and carefree, skipping school and falling in love with strangers you'd met on the internet? And you loved them so much you just wanted to buy them a brand new luxury car? And then when you tried to buy them a luxury car with your life's savings, the salesman at the car dealership wouldn't let you because he's just some grown-up and how could he ever possibly understand? No?

Well it happened on Sunday to a 14 year old girl in Zhengzhou, Henan province, who tried purchasing an Audi A4 for her boyfriend whom she'd met online three months before, according to Shanghai Daily.

The girl, Wang Fang, reportedly went to an Audi dealership in Zhengzhou and tried using her life's savings of 380,000 yuan ($61,976) to buy the car for her boyfriend, who told her that he would break up with her if she didn't.

Swag third-grader buys classmates lunch, has over 1m yuan on his bank card

The third grader in question had bought a large amount of food and gifts for his classmates on his credit card. Concerned that he was impoverishing himself for the sake of his classmates, the teacher made the boy take her to an ATM so she could check the card's balance. To her surprise there was over a million yuan left on the card even after the boy's gift-giving.

Questioned by the teacher, the boy said that the money was given to him by his father to help him learn "financial management". However, when the school contacted the boy's parents they told quite a different story.