Justice in China

Rape Victim’s Mother Wins Labor Camp Lawsuit

from the Wall Street Journal

A Chinese mother at the center of a closely-watched legal battle notched a victory on Monday, successfully suing local authorities who had sent her to a labor camp to stop her petitioning for greater punishment of the men who had raped her daughter.

The municipal re-education through labor commission in Yongzhou, a city in central China’s Hunan province, was ordered by the Hunan Provincial People’s High Court to pay Tang Hui 2,641 yuan ($430) in compensation for mental distress and infringement of personal freedom, according to her lawyer and state media reports.

“Thanks to all of you,” Ms. Tang wrote on the Twitter-like Sina Weibo microblogging service after the decision was announced.

Ms. Tang, 40, was sentenced to a year and a half in a Hunan labor camp in August 2012 for “seriously disturbing social order and exerting a negative impact on society” after she publicly called for the death penalty for all seven of the men found guilty the previous June of kidnapping and raping her daughter–then 11 years old–and forcing her into prostitution. The girl was kidnapped in October 2006 and rescued on Dec. 30 that same year.

Two of the perpetrators were sentenced to death, four to life in prison and one to 15 years in prison.

. . .

Observers were divided Monday on the significance of Ms. Tang’s victory.

. . .

Lawyer Yuan Yulai was more cautious, noting that precedent holds little sway in China’s legal system, so similar cases in the future could produce different outcomes. Still, he wrote, “these cases promote an unyielding spirit. In today’s China, this is especially important.”

The death penalty seems appropriate in this case.

Agreed. That is one thing I admire about China, the willingness to eliminate those who have greatly wronged society. I think actually using the Death Penalty is a strong deterrent to provide crime as it at least makes criminals think twice before they act. I wish the Death Penalty was used more and in a timely basis - not after 20 years of appeals- when it is warranted here in the USA. Criminals here don't appear to be afraid of the country club prison conditions here in the USA.

True Blue

Agreed. That is one thing I admire about China, the willingness to eliminate those who have greatly wronged society. I think actually using the Death Penalty is a strong deterrent to provide crime as it at least makes criminals think twice before they act. I wish the Death Penalty was used more and in a timely basis - not after 20 years of appeals- when it is warranted here in the USA. Criminals here don't appear to be afraid of the country club prison conditions here in the USA.

I don't disagree but I think the death penalty only partly explains the deterrence to crime in China. Gun laws may also contribute; and the survivalist mentality, etc.