Thank you. I tried to register online but I don't know her information. She showed me a packet on the video that said do not open. I am not sure if she has the items I need to pay online in english or not. I may try to pay online in China next week. I need the numbers the website asked for.

This does not need to be done before arrival, it can be done well after arrival, you can do it when spouse is in the states and home. It is a green-card processing fee.
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you. I tried to register online but I don't know her information. She showed me a packet on the video that said do not open. I am not sure if she has the items I need to pay online in english or not. I may try to pay online in China next week. I need the numbers the website asked for.

This does not need to be done before arrival, it can be done well after arrival, you can do it when spouse is in the states and home. It is a green-card processing fee.

Thank you. I was able to get the A number but she could not find the DOS number.

Hi all,

Thanks to whomever and all for a great and very needed website. This is my first post.

My wife, Zhenyun, and I were married December 2012 in Shanghai, where we reside and I teach English. In part because we already have a child on the way, we plan to stay here awhile, at least until our second anniversary. Apparently the US immigration process (or some stage of it) is made easier by demonstrating two years of marriage? Realizing that that's still a ways off, I hope someone will comment on this as well as pointing us to your best, favorite -- that is, straightforward & simple -- posts for a "step 1, step 2, step 3, 4, 5, 6, 7..." roadmap toward immigration for her. What should we start doing in the meantime? What documents can we have translated & certified/notarized (I realize this terminology needs to be used precisely) and by whom/where in Shanghai in preparation for the entire process? Two notes: Her hukou is in Shanghai, and DCF sounds easiest -- I'll begin following the DCF posts.

An early step may be applying for an ITIN. I filed my 2012 tax return as "married, filing separately," filling in her SSN box as "NRA." According to the IRS's 2012 Publ 17, page 22, we have time (up to 3 years) to amend my filing status to "married, filing jointly." If and when file jointly, I'd like to supply an ITIN for her. Why? I'm guessing that "greasing the wheels" by paying taxes on our joint income is what the federal government is looking for as quid pro quo for eventually considering/granting her US citizenship. Am I close to the truth? Please comment. Question: the W-7 form states that the identifying document (eg, passport) copy must be certified by the issuing agency, which would all be Chinese in my wife's case. But are earlier posts in this thread correct in suggesting that a trip to the US consulate in Shanghai would be adequate for the purpose? Ie, a consulate notarized copy of her passport would suffice as the certified copy required by form W-7 instructions? Also, as an aside, would her receiving an ITIN necessarily require her to file & pay US taxes (via, in our case, a "married, filing jointly" return)?

Many future posts to come from me, I'm sure!

Peter

Hi all,

Thanks to whomever and all for a great and very needed website. This is my first post.

My wife, Zhenyun, and I were married December 2012 in Shanghai, where we reside and I teach English. In part because we already have a child on the way, we plan to stay here awhile, at least until our second anniversary. Apparently the US immigration process (or some stage of it) is made easier by demonstrating two years of marriage? Realizing that that's still a ways off, I hope someone will comment on this as well as pointing us to your best, favorite -- that is, straightforward & simple -- posts for a "step 1, step 2, step 3, 4, 5, 6, 7..." roadmap toward immigration for her. What should we start doing in the meantime? What documents can we have translated & certified/notarized (I realize this terminology needs to be used precisely) and by whom/where in Shanghai in preparation for the entire process? Two notes: Her hukou is in Shanghai, and DCF sounds easiest -- I'll begin following the DCF posts.

An early step may be applying for an ITIN. I filed my 2012 tax return as "married, filing separately," filling in her SSN box as "NRA." According to the IRS's 2012 Publ 17, page 22, we have time (up to 3 years) to amend my filing status to "married, filing jointly." If and when file jointly, I'd like to supply an ITIN for her. Why? I'm guessing that "greasing the wheels" by paying taxes on our joint income is what the federal government is looking for as quid pro quo for eventually considering/granting her US citizenship. Am I close to the truth? Please comment. Question: the W-7 form states that the identifying document (eg, passport) copy must be certified by the issuing agency, which would all be Chinese in my wife's case. But are earlier posts in this thread correct in suggesting that a trip to the US consulate in Shanghai would be adequate for the purpose? Ie, a consulate notarized copy of her passport would suffice as the certified copy required by form W-7 instructions? Also, as an aside, would her receiving an ITIN necessarily require her to file & pay US taxes (via, in our case, a "married, filing jointly" return)?

Many future posts to come from me, I'm sure!

Peter

Yes, the passport copy may be certified by a Certifying Agent - in China, this means at one of the consulates. DO NOT try to have the Chinese "issuing authority" certify the copy. This is NOT the same as a notarized copy - the consulate will know exactly what to do.

LPR's (green card holders) are required to file tax returns - ordinary Chinese citizens are not, unless they have U.S. income. Once you HAVE filed a joint return with her and are expecting her green card, however, you will probably want to continue doing so.

The Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555) will most likely allow you to exclude most (if not all) of the tax on your/her foreign-based income.

For number 1 - for now, take pictures!

• 2 months later...

Thought it would be a good time to bring up this thread again (tax time) and even though this thread is titiled.

Form W-7 denied:

The posts in this thread and advise still apply and is current as of this year.

I'll be adding links to the most common U.S, consulates.

Tax time is getting close and many of us will be going down this road soon.

I my self will be doing this for my sister inlaw very soon.

Please feel free to add any new info as needed.

Mike

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)

No - absolutely not - the Consulate is where you need to get it certified. The Consulate will know what to do - the Chinese authorities do not.

American Citizen Services is for anyone requiring the American services, citizen or not. She WILL be allowed in with the appointment letter.

Randy could you verify?

per Chengdn web site:

Consular Officers perform notary services customarily provided by Notaries Public in the United States. Persons requiring such services should visit American Citizen Services during regular office hours. Please note that a consular officer cannot witness a will, validate that a document is genuine, or that statements made are true. The officer can only attest to the oath taken by the person making the statements or presenting the documents. Please note that American Citizen Services can only authenticate copies of documents issued by the U.S. Department of State.

Click here to make an appointment.

Required items at time of notarization

• The documents to be notarized
  • Identification (passport or driver's license)
  • Witnesses, if necessary
  • Fee

Fees

Notarials/Certified Copies/Authentications:

$50.00 for each signature/seal

Please be aware of the following limitations on Consular officers’ authority to perform notarial services:

• Consular officers are only authorized to perform notarial services for non-U.S. citizens if the notarized document will be used in the United States.
  • Consular officers are not permitted to notarize documents that contain blanks. All prices, names, addresses, etc. must be filled in or marked “N/A” before the document can be notarized.
  • Consular officers may not certify true copies of documents issued by government authorities. Certified copies of these documents should be obtained from the issuing authority.
  • Consular officers and the staff of the Consulate are not permitted to act as witnesses when documents are notarized. If the document you want to have notarized requires witnesses then please bring the required number of witnesses with you to the Consulate.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/2013-ITIN-Updated-Procedures-Frequently-Asked-Questions

Several people have reported getting this done through the American consulates in China for exactly this purpose, even prior to the change in 2013.

DO NOT ask for Notary services - you will need a certified passport copy for the IRS.

Can my foreign consulate or embassy certify my documents?
You may be able to request a certified copy of documents at an embassy or consulate. However, services may vary between countries, so we recommend that you contact the appropriate consulate or embassy for specific information.

http://www.irs.gov/irm/part3/irm_03-021-263r-cont01.html

Foreign documents certified by U.S. consul/embassy employees are valid certified documents. U.S. Consul employees may certify the document itself or attach a separate authentication sheet (usually attached with an eyelet grommet). Examples of Consul authentication include Consul stamps, seals, ribbons, wafers, wax, and eyelet grommets.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/2013-ITIN-Updated-Procedures-Frequently-Asked-Questions

Several people have reported getting this done through the American consulates in China for exactly this purpose, even prior to the change in 2013.

DO NOT ask for Notary services - you will need a certified passport copy for the IRS.

You may be able to request a certified copy of documents at an embassy or consulate. However, services may vary between countries, so we recommend that you contact the appropriate consulate or embassy for specific information.

Foreign documents certified by U.S. consul/embassy employees are valid certified documents. U.S. Consul employees may certify the document itself or attach a separate authentication sheet (usually attached with an eyelet grommet). Examples of Consul authentication include Consul stamps, seals, ribbons, wafers, wax, and eyelet grommets.

OK. what is the differences between Notary and certified copy's?

How do the two look different from each other?

"Foreign documents certified by U.S. consul/embassy employees are valid certified documents. U.S. Consul employees may certify the document itself or attach a separate authentication sheet (usually attached with an eyelet grommet). Examples of Consul authentication include Consul stamps, seals, ribbons, wafers, wax, and eyelet grommets."

OK. what is the differences between Notary and certified copy's?

How do the two look different from each other?

The IRS requirement is that you go to a "Certified Acceptance Agent", NOT a Notary, for this purpose. In China, this means going to a consulate. This was a CHANGE in policy as of Jan., 2013, so it's a very specific policy. The difference is in WHO does the Certification. The "Certified Acceptance Agents" requirement means that you are presenting the actual passport to someone authorized specifically by the IRS to do this.

As to what they look like, maybe someone who's done that can answer.