Thank you. I guess I need to ask my wife to get a certified copy of her passport. I had her get a notarized copy and send that in with my taxes. It looked legal to me, it was in a folder with several other sheets of paper. I just hope I can explain it to her. We both use translation programs. Although it has improved. I used to use Google translate and paste Chinese in the video window. But for months now I type in English and she translates it into Chinese. This time I am going to put my address down as her mailing address. The IRS said I did not respond to a form they sent which I never got and nether did she. The instructions did say certified copies when I just reread it, I did not know until I asked here that this must be done at the US consulate. My wife is not knowledgeable on the computer but maybe I can make the appointment for her online. I still don't understand a lot of stuff. I forgot what the word for a notarized (or certified) copy of a certified copy is but I had to do that to get my single paperwork to get married in China.

The US consulate in Guangzhou is moving July 22 to another address. We found this out after we made her visa interview appointment. The rules changed April 1 this year. For us I called the National Visa Center to find out when they sent the paperwork to China. It took almost three weeks and then they sent an email to my wife with the new appointment instructions found on the NVC website.We had to register with an email address and password and then make the appointment. Before you could make the appointment you had to put where you were to pick up the documents. I had to send in our original marriage books so I hope she gets those back. I have read online where they give documents to the wrong people. My wife wanted to pick up the documents where she lived but it looks like they have several address in the towns where the US consulates are. Once she agreed to an address to pick up the documents I was able to make the appointment for the visa interview online. I think they used to send mail to her mailing address. I am adding this for information. So far it has been over a year married and living in different countries.

Back to the IRS and the ITIN, I read online I have three years to amend my filing status. The taxes were better filing married jointly than married single. But without her ITIN the IRS has not accepted my income tax (four or five months now). You can not efile without a ITIN and you can not efile the same year you get an ITIN. I think I can amend my taxes and file married separately if I have to. I am getting my information from posts online about this. Thanks again for the help.

She will be going to American Citizen Services at her consulate (not necessarily GUZ) to get her passport copy certified. The only English she will need to know is "IRS". Her appointment letter is all she needs in order to be admitted into the consulate.

To get the ITIN, you will need to submit the W-7 WITH a tax return - follow the instructions on it. Don't be dependent on the e-filing - pen and paper and regular old post office snail mail work just fine.

But yes, filing married filing separately, and then filing amended returns will at least get your returns filed.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I talked to my wife. She said she would do it and when I clicked on the link it was for US citizens. My wife is Chinese. Can she still get a certified copy at the US Consulate? The choices for the appointment were for americans.

Hi, I talked to my wife. She said she would do it and when I clicked on the link it was for US citizens. My wife is Chinese. Can she still get a certified copy at the US Consulate? The choices for the appointment were for americans.

Certification of True Copies of Documents

The Consulate is only able to Certify as True Copies documents issued by the U.S. Department of State, namely U.S. Passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad certificates.

My wife's passport was issued by China in 2011. Maybe she needs to get it certified somewhere else.

Certification of True Copies of Documents

The Consulate is only able to Certify as True Copies documents issued by the U.S. Department of State, namely U.S. Passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad certificates.

My wife's passport was issued by China in 2011. Maybe she needs to get it certified somewhere else.

No - absolutely not - the Consulate is where you need to get it certified. The Consulate will know what to do - the Chinese authorities do not.

American Citizen Services is for anyone requiring the American services, citizen or not. She WILL be allowed in with the appointment letter.

Thank you. I guess I need to ask my wife to get a certified copy of her passport. I had her get a notarized copy and send that in with my taxes. It looked legal to me, it was in a folder with several other sheets of paper. I just hope I can explain it to her. We both use translation programs. Although it has improved. I used to use Google translate and paste Chinese in the video window. But for months now I type in English and she translates it into Chinese. This time I am going to put my address down as her mailing address. The IRS said I did not respond to a form they sent which I never got and nether did she. The instructions did say certified copies when I just reread it, I did not know until I asked here that this must be done at the US consulate. My wife is not knowledgeable on the computer but maybe I can make the appointment for her online. I still don't understand a lot of stuff. I forgot what the word for a notarized (or certified) copy of a certified copy is but I had to do that to get my single paperwork to get married in China.

The US consulate in Guangzhou is moving July 22 to another address. We found this out after we made her visa interview appointment. The rules changed April 1 this year. For us I called the National Visa Center to find out when they sent the paperwork to China. It took almost three weeks and then they sent an email to my wife with the new appointment instructions found on the NVC website.We had to register with an email address and password and then make the appointment. Before you could make the appointment you had to put where you were to pick up the documents. I had to send in our original marriage books so I hope she gets those back. I have read online where they give documents to the wrong people. My wife wanted to pick up the documents where she lived but it looks like they have several address in the towns where the US consulates are. Once she agreed to an address to pick up the documents I was able to make the appointment for the visa interview online. I think they used to send mail to her mailing address. I am adding this for information. So far it has been over a year married and living in different countries.

Back to the IRS and the ITIN, I read online I have three years to amend my filing status. The taxes were better filing married jointly than married single. But without her ITIN the IRS has not accepted my income tax (four or five months now). You can not efile without a ITIN and you can not efile the same year you get an ITIN. I think I can amend my taxes and file married separately if I have to. I am getting my information from posts online about this. Thanks again for the help.

She will be going to American Citizen Services at her consulate (not necessarily GUZ) to get her passport copy certified. The only English she will need to know is "IRS". Her appointment letter is all she needs in order to be admitted into the consulate.

To get the ITIN, you will need to submit the W-7 WITH a tax return - follow the instructions on it. Don't be dependent on the e-filing - pen and paper and regular old post office snail mail work just fine.

But yes, filing married filing separately, and then filing amended returns will at least get your returns filed.

Hi Randy, Sorry I am confused. One person said I needed her to go to the US consulate but that is for US passports. My wife does not speak English and I speak less Chinese. I have another notorized copy of her passport but the IRS turned down the W7 form with the first copy I sent in. It says it is a true copy of her passport. What you are saying is she needs to go to a Chinese consulate to get the passport certified. My wife said she will go to the information service there and ask. Or maybe she meant the US consulate and she will ask. Some how I am going to try and get a certified copy of her passport instead of a notorized copy.

NO! She needs to go to a U.S Consulate in her district to get this done.

Re read what randy said, read his last post very carefully.

Go online and make a appointment with the U.S. Consulate In her district.

Once appointment is made you/she will get a conformation notice.

She will need this appointment letter to enter the U.S. Consulate

Just remember this, your dealing with the U.S. government . IRS

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)

Hi Randy, Sorry I am confused. One person said I needed her to go to the US consulate but that is for US passports. My wife does not speak English and I speak less Chinese. I have another notorized copy of her passport but the IRS turned down the W7 form with the first copy I sent in. It says it is a true copy of her passport. What you are saying is she needs to go to a Chinese consulate to get the passport certified. My wife said she will go to the information service there and ask. Or maybe she meant the US consulate and she will ask. Some how I am going to try and get a certified copy of her passport instead of a notorized copy.

Saying to get a certified copy at one of the US Consulates in China. I see where the Consulate sites indicate they only will do a certified copy of US Documents.

IRS has this:

The IRS has permanent staff available that is able to help process [/size]Forms W-7, IRS Application Number and [/size]Instructions (PDF) at the following U.S. embassies overseas: Beijing, Frankfurt, London, and Paris. The addresses and phone numbers of these overseas offices may be found at[/size]Contact My Local Office Internationally. In addition, there are public accounting firms overseas in certain countries which are Authorized Acceptance Agents for ITIN numbers. You will find their names and addresses at the [/size]Acceptance Agent Program page.[/size]

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Obtaining-an-ITIN-from-Abroad

Beijing U.S. Embassy Beijing

Internal Revenue Service

No. 55 Anjialou Road,

Beijing 100600

Peoples Republic of China

Walk-in assistance by appointment only.

Phone Service

Tel: [86] (10) 8531-3983

Fax: [86] (10) 8531-4287

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-My-Local-Office-Internationally

I would contact the IRS office in Beijing, and ask them what to do about ITIN

AGAIN - the AMERICAN (not Chinese) consulate in China KNOWS what to do! They do it all the time. This is NOT a new procedure, although it IS now required, whereas before a US notarization was enough

There's a difference in legal terminology among "certifying a true copy", "passport certification", etc. etc. etc. - but the consulate knows what to do.

I posted a link to the IRS procedure manual where this is specified recently - I'll see if I can't find it again.

AGAIN - the AMERICAN (not Chinese) consulate in China KNOWS what to do! They do it all the time. This is NOT a new procedure, although it IS now required, whereas before a US notarization was enough

There's a difference in legal terminology among "certifying a true copy", "passport certification", etc. etc. etc. - but the consulate knows what to do.

I posted a link to the IRS procedure manual where this is specified recently - I'll see if I can't find it again.

Hi Randy, Thank you. I think I understand now (think anyway). Of course I am trying to do this the same time she is going for her interview for a visa to come to America. If she does get a visa I think she gives her passport up until they put the visa in the passport. I did not make an appointment but checked it and the first appointment is on the day she is going for the visa interview. The big day we have been waiting for for over a year. If they still accepted notorized copies I would not have to be going through this. Thanks for the help.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/44826-taxes-which-is-the-better-choice-for-us-married-joint-or-married-separate/?p=602361

I believe it's covered under this clause of the Internal Revenue Manual, dated Jan. 2, 2013 -

http://www.irs.gov/i...63r-cont01.html

Part 3. Submission Processing Chapter 21. International Returns and Documents Analysis Section 263. IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) Real-Time System (RTS) (Cont. 1) 3.21.263.5.3.4.2.1 (01-02-2013)
Supporting Identification Documentation Certification Requirements

If a U.S. Consul/Embassy certifies a copy of a foreign document, accept it as valid. U.S. Consul employees may certify the document itself or attach a separate authentication sheet (usually attached with an eyelet grommet). Examples of Consul authentication include Consul stamps, seals, ribbons, wafers, wax, and eyelet grommets.

The clause I quoted is under the "Comments" column of Table 3

Contact her consulate about making an appointment to get this done (it falls under "American Citizen Services", and she won't have any trouble getting admitted to the consulate with a printed appointment letter).

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: My wife was waiting for her interview for the visa at the same time I wrote. It was not possible to get a certified copy of her passport because she was going to have to give it to them in case she got a visa. I resubmitted the paperwork which was a letter (none the first time) a copy of our taxes with her correct name this time (The tax software put her name as my last name and I did not notice), a notarized copy of her passport, a few copies showing she was going through immigration, a copy of the page of our marriage book and I don't remember what else. I thought I would do that while I was waiting to get her here with her passport. I got a letter yesterday saying they gave me my refund minus $390 they said was an adjustment. I still don't have an ITIN number for my wife but maybe they will send that to me. At least my taxes are done and I don't have to worry about that. My wife was approved for the visa and I am going to go pick her up in China next week. The lawyer said there is a new rule where I have to pay $165 when she goes through immigration when we land in America. I am very happy I can see the end of this. It is very difficult to wait.

More than likely IRS assigned ITIN to return, you should not need it after she arrives in the states, she will get an SSN based on residency status. SSN will arrive a few weeks after arrival, if not then visit SSA office and apply for one.

UPDATE: My wife was waiting for her interview for the visa at the same time I wrote. It was not possible to get a certified copy of her passport because she was going to have to give it to them in case she got a visa. I resubmitted the paperwork which was a letter (none the first time) a copy of our taxes with her correct name this time (The tax software put her name as my last name and I did not notice), a notarized copy of her passport, a few copies showing she was going through immigration, a copy of the page of our marriage book and I don't remember what else. I thought I would do that while I was waiting to get her here with her passport. I got a letter yesterday saying they gave me my refund minus $390 they said was an adjustment. I still don't have an ITIN number for my wife but maybe they will send that to me. At least my taxes are done and I don't have to worry about that. My wife was approved for the visa and I am going to go pick her up in China next week. The lawyer said there is a new rule where I have to pay $165 when she goes through immigration when we land in America. I am very happy I can see the end of this. It is very difficult to wait.

You should be able to find out the ITIN, but like Dan says, as long as she gets an SS number after arrival, she won't need it for anything.

But the $165 fee is a green card processing fee which is NOT paid at the POE. She should have been given instructions on how to pay this online. You may pay the fee at any time, but green card processing won't happen until the fee has been paid and she has been processed through a POE.

You should be able to find out the ITIN, but like Dan says, as long as she gets an SS number after arrival, she won't need it for anything.

But the $165 fee is a green card processing fee which is NOT paid at the POE. She should have been given instructions on how to pay this online. You may pay the fee at any time, but green card processing won't happen until the fee has been paid and she has been processed through a POE.

Yes, details about the green-card fee can be found here:

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/new-uscis-immigrant-fee.html

And the online payment processing is here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3a2bb75e8109b310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Yes, details about the green-card fee can be found here:

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/new-uscis-immigrant-fee.html

And the online payment processing is here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3a2bb75e8109b310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Thank you. I tried to register online but I don't know her information. She showed me a packet on the video that said do not open. I am not sure if she has the items I need to pay online in english or not. I may try to pay online in China next week. I need the numbers the website asked for.