Asiana 777 crash in SFO

ameriken

KTVU Channel 2 apologized for the report. I wonder how sincere they are about it. They tried to spread the blame on to the NTSB. Initially it wasn't clear to me if the NTSB had called the TV station or released some information about the pilot's names. That wasn't the case. It is unclear where the TV got the names from but it was not the NTSB. KTVU Channel 2 seems to be trying to shift/share the blame with an intern at the NTSB. I would like to know the TV's source for the names. Sure seems like they weren't making much of an effort to do a good truthful news story. Danb

• Like 1

Looks like they are an independent station, much like WUHF in Rochester, NY, however their news department is not affiliated with FOX Cable News, the Oakland station's news department is affiliated with CNN, it looks like initial reporting jumped and immediately assumed that somehow FOX news was to blame.

KTVU anchor Tori Campbell read the names Friday. The news station, a CNN affiliate, later apologized on air and on its website.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/15/travel/asiana-offensive-names/index.html?sr=fb071513asianatvstationsuit11a

Do a google search, Fox affiliates San Francisco, and see who comes up at the top of the list.

https://www.google.com/search?source=ig&rlz=1G1ACAW_ENUS338&q=fox+affiliates+san+francisco&oq=fox+affiliates+san+fr&gs_l=igoogle.1.0.0i22i30l3.718.11296.0.14974.12.10.0.0.0.0.1898.10259.2-1j6-1j7j1.10.0...0.0...1ac.1.12.igoogle.C2xdpBihM8k

Looks like they are an independent station, much like WUHF in Rochester, NY, however their news department is not affiliated with FOX Cable News, the Oakland station's news department is affiliated with CNN, it looks like initial reporting jumped and immediately assumed that somehow FOX news was to blame.

KTVU anchor Tori Campbell read the names Friday. The news station, a CNN affiliate, later apologized on air and on its website.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/15/travel/asiana-offensive-names/index.html?sr=fb071513asianatvstationsuit11a

Do a google search, Fox affiliates San Francisco, and see who comes up at the top of the list.

https://www.google.com/search?source=ig&rlz=1G1ACAW_ENUS338&q=fox+affiliates+san+francisco&oq=fox+affiliates+san+fr&gs_l=igoogle.1.0.0i22i30l3.718.11296.0.14974.12.10.0.0.0.0.1898.10259.2-1j6-1j7j1.10.0...0.0...1ac.1.12.igoogle.C2xdpBihM8k

They may be affiliated for TV programming such as "The Simpsons" "Cops", "The Family Guy", etc, however CNN claims them as a news affiliate.

Maybe this will help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KTVU

Of course, I know wikipedia is not the greatest source, but it's a start....

As a Fox affiliate[edit]

On October 9, 1986, KTVU became a charter affiliate of the newly-created Fox television network. KTVU launched a morning newscast called Mornings on 2 in 1991 (and, as such, became the fourth Fox affiliate or station to air weekday morning newscasts). It began to air an afternoon cartoon block supplied by the network, Fox Kids, when it debuted in 1991. It also added more syndicated talk shows, court shows, and reality shows over the years; the station still runs some off-network sitcoms. The station continued to run the Fox Kids block on weekdays until Fox ended weekday kids programming in January 2002,[5] but still retained the Saturday morning lineup, which eventually became known as4Kids TV until Fox discontinued its children's programming altogether on December 27, 2008.

KTVU has generally aired the entire Fox entertainment lineup with no preemptions, except for San Francisco Giants baseball games during its contractual tenure with the team, as the network airs fewer hours of network programming than CBS, NBC and ABC. At first, KTVU delayed preempted programming to weekends, but with the growth of Fox and viewer demand, the station eventually aired the delayed primetime shows following the station's 10 p.m. newscast. The Bay Area has always been one of the ten largest Nielsen media markets and Fox naturally wanted to have a owned-and-operated station in the area. Through the network's parent company, News Corporation, it made several offers to buy KTVU, but Cox turned down their offers each. When Cox purchased KICU, the preempted Fox programming would be moved to that station to air in its normal timeslot in lieu of KTVU. The issue over Giants baseball and pre-emptions became moot when the team announced that NBC owned-and-operated KNTV would be the flagship station for the Giants beginning with the 2008 season. This is also due to in part to the fact that KICU, which had broadcastOakland Athletics baseball games until 2009, when CSN California took over as a result of an exclusive contract, ending the broadcasts on KICU. Despite this, Fox has been very satisfied with KTVU, as the station is one of the network's strongest affiliates.

In 2000, Cox Enterprises acquired KICU, creating the Bay Area market's first television station duopoly with KTVU;[6] KICU moved its operations from its original studios in San Jose and consolidated them into KTVU's Oakland studios. Both stations now share several programming and cross promotion functions as well. On March 3, 2008, KTVU celebrated its 50th anniversary of broadcasting. In honor of the anniversary, a series of fifteen promos were produced for which included those honoring former KTVU programs such as Romper Room and Captain Satellite, as well as the station's sports programming.

Station branding[edit]

In its early years as a Fox affiliate, KTVU still referenced itself as "Channel 2" and rarely called itself "Fox 2" under the branding conventions used by Fox for its other affiliates, although some promos for Fox network programs did refer to the station as "Fox Channel 2". In 1996, the Fox logo was added into the longtime "Circle Laser 2" logo (which has been used since 1974), and when the network tightened its branding standardizations for its stations, the station began branding itself as KTVU Fox 2 – although it continues to brand itself as "KTVU Channel 2" during its newscasts. At the same time, it incorporated the KTVU calls into its branding full-time to maintain a local presence. KTVU also used the slogan "There's Only One 2" in its marketing and on-air promos, including a musical jingle, during the 1970s and 1980s.[7]

Edited by Mick (see edit history)

MY TAKE:

THEN - When I grew up in the 1950's and 1960's, news was reported at 6 pm and 10 or 11 pm and also in the daily newspaper. In depth stories were reported in well written magazines of the day. People could wait a bit and the news was reported fairly and accurately for the most part. Stories were rarely reported "early" before the professional journalists did their homework. Newsmen and newswomen were trusted professionals then - Cronkite, Murrow, Brinkley, Howard K Smith...and others. Back "in the day" people, most people trusted the leading news professionals to report stories fairly and accurately.

NOW - With the advent of the internet, cell phones, computers and other social media, the so called "news" has become a series of sound bites with sources stepping all over each other to rush to report some new "news" while cutting corners on fact checking and analysis. This pilot name error is a great example of someone not sounding out their sound bite of the day. Everyone now takes "the news" with a grain of salt as the sources are folks like "Geraldo, Rachel Maddow, Rush Limbaugh and others who are neither newspaper or objective. To be fair, Rush Limbaugh characterizes himself as an "entertainer" and a "commentator", so he is not purporting to be a newsman. But the line is blurred and many people now cannot tell the difference. I think it is easier to manipulate public opinion now.

Having said that, it should also be noted that a lot of public manipulation was done by the news media back in the day. When you have time read up about the origins of the Spanish American war, a war that was basically started and sponsored to sell newspapers.

Personally, I usually rely on BBC or Canadian news sources for a less biased account of the news.

True Blue

Edited by True Blue (see edit history)

The least biased and most fair and balanced news I have found is Al Jazeera. I was skeptical at first expecting a pro Arab slant but was pleasantly surprised. I highly recommend giving them a listen.