More from "Off The Great Wall"

The first of the two major topics in this episode are parents rioting over children not being allowed to cheat on college entrance exams. My first reaction was "tough shit they shouldn't be cheating." The problem with that is guanxi and corruption are so engrained into Chinese culture that it's the only way they can get high enough scores.

The second is about a father and son chasing each other in their expensive cars then running after each other on foot. I suspect if you have good enough guanxi you won't be arrested.

I agree with your conclusion Carl about the cheating, and it looks like the 3 young folks do too, after thinking about it.

It's apparent the father/son idiot duo is new to having money. They are still in the childish "I have money, therefore I must be important stage". Both of them should be taken out behind the woodshed and spanked soundly.

tsap seui

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with that is guanxi and corruption are so engrained into Chinese culture that it's the only way they can get high enough scores.

And the problem lies in the idea that the 'ends' matter most; the 'means' are irrelevant. This is another one of those west vs east may not see eye to eye with.

I see it in every college paper my wife's daughter tries to write... the ending / conclusion statements are filling the paper without any proof (means) of how to arrive at that conclusion. It simply permeates them in many facets of life.