22 American dialects in the USA

It's interesting that on the map that gives the dialects, it shows our area to be "lowland south" although the surrounding areas are all "inland south." It seems we a part of a little neck that runs down from central Tennessee into north central Alabama, including Huntsville. I always have equated lowland south with what is traditional called "tidewater," a dialect that had its roots in and around Charleston, South Carolina, Savannah, Georgia and that area. Also was the dominant dialect in Mobile and New Orleans. It is the dialect one hears in things like "Gone With the Wind." To tell the truth, I don't hear a lot of lowland south in these parts. It is more inland southern and Huntsville, being more cosmopolitan, is more of a standard midwestern English.

Hello. I usually just say Mayo. Wonder if I have my own dialect.

Thomas, I clicked on your You tube link thinking that we would hear audio samples of the different dialects. Instead I got the Olive Tree. What a beautiful melody. I wonder if there has ever been an attempt to do an duet with that song. One singer singing in Chinese and the other singing in English. Danb

Hello. I usually just say Mayo. Wonder if I have my own dialect.

Thomas, I clicked on your You tube link thinking that we would hear audio samples of the different dialects. Instead I got the Olive Tree. What a beautiful melody. I wonder if there has ever been an attempt to do an duet with that song. One singer singing in Chinese and the other singing in English. Danb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nN9iG3S_bg

Appropriate song for all of our lives.