My husband and I are planning to move back to the U.S. together next summer after my contract with my company is up and I will be looking for a job then. While we have enough money and assets to satisfy the I-864 requirements, it is all in China, which I understand means that none of it will count. Would it be advisable to send the required amount in cash (~$60K) to my bank account in America? My thinking on this is that since they will require bank statements for the past year, that it would look like we are just borrowing the money to make it look like we actually have it. Also, my husband has most of our money invested here and is hesitant to send it to America where it will be earning little to nothing idling in my bank account.

I have a cosponsor that more than clears the poverty threshold for her own and our household, so am I worrying for nothing or will my lack of assets and an offer of employment in the U.S. cripple our chances?

I advise against making financial decisions based on their impact on the immigration process. If you are going to transfer that money anyway, that's no problem, but I don't think it's wise to transfer money that you would prefer to keep in China.

Your employment situation will have a much bigger impact, but showing that you are looking for a job and having prospects lined up may be the biggest help, since your cosponsor apparently has you covered.

Never assume that "enough" is ENOUGH. They are required to look at the totality of circumstances, and NOT just the figures on the I-864. That "required amount" you are referring to would most likely have minimal to no impact.

We just went through the same thing last week, my husband's interview was on the 4th. His visa was approved but he had to submit "an offer of employment for petitioner" with his passport before he would receive his visa.

My I-864 included IRS Tax Transcripts for the last 3 years, copies of bank and brokerage statements, and 2 house deeds (one in China and US). So the issue wasn't funds, liquid or illiquid, but came down to my employment. I am staying with the same firm and the timing of the move is up to us so obtaining a letter of continued employment/offer of employment in the States from my company was a non-issue and we submitted on Sunday (along with the Notarized Birth Certificate) via Citic Bank.

I'd suggest you include a very detailed summary of your employment plans to include with your I-864 to mitigate any lack of employment offer.