Reentry permit received only good for 1 year

Well,

Yuan's reentry permit arrived while I was away on a business trip. It was approved but only good for 1 year. I guess I will just have to get the new factory up and running in record time. So we can be back in the states before it expires.

I assume this is because she was only in the states for 8 months when we applied for the permit.

Hi,

My information is really old but my wife got a reentry permit back in 2000. She got her visa while I was working in Shanghai, China, in January of 2000 where I was setting up an electronic manufacturing operation for the company I worked for here in the USA. I ended up needing to stay for almost 5 years total. So when she got the CR1 visa in January we ended up entering the USA for 11 days total in early May to get the CR1 for her before the visa became invalid. We went to Social Securityand got her a card number. Then immediately applied for the re-entry permit because I knew we would be out of the country for at least another year as soon as we went back to China. We had the reentry permit forwarded to Shanghai when done. We then flew back to Shanghai and gave the consulate there, the information as to where to contact us when it showed up. It showed up about 6 months later in November and we picked it up. It was valid for 2 years which was why we got it. It wouldn't make much sense to only have 1 year validity! Unless things have changed, she should be allowed to stay out of the country for one full year without the reentry permit anyway. So what would be the purpose of it if it is only valid for 1 year. I don't think only being in the country for 8 months should make any difference at all. We were only there for 11 days and it was issued for 2 years. We ended up just having my son keep the green card in the USA until we got back permanently using the reentry permit to come back in at the POE. We ended up being out of the country for a total of just under 15 months and the card worked perfectly when coming back to the USA. If I was you, I would contact the Consulate and see if you can find out why it is only valid for 1 year. Worst case, you could come back for a short period just before the year is up and then go back again and reset the clock. Thats what we were going to do, if the permit wouldn't have shown up at all. Good luck with your factory setup. I still kind of miss it back there, even after being back here for almost 11 years now.

Gale