Hey 2Mikes

tsap seui

You and I once talked and laughed about our USAA membership, how when we joined you had to be an officer or officer candidate in the military to even join, and about how long we had been clients of their's.

You had clued me in about the 2nd subscribers benefit check they send out. At teh time I didn't realize they had a second subscribers benefit check for us old timers. Anyhow, I just got my "Senior Bonus Distribution- for your loyalty" check in the mail today.

It's funny, I used to tell my friends, the only and the best thing I ever got out of the military was my USAA membership. It's been almost 43 years now. I well remember making the call at the insistence of a friend....we had 8 weeks left of our 36 week flight school/OCS and we had just gotten our Vietnam orders...a bunch of us bought motorcycles and this friend almost twisted my arm to get USAA insurance. I had rattled on about how I didn't want anything ot do with the military but he kept telling me it wasn't part of the military, and how great their coverage was for officers. He practically put the phone in my hand to call them...lol

So glad I made that call. With these two subscriber's distribution checks it's almost like I pay nothing for my three vehicles....maybe $300 every six months.

From one old fart to another, enjoy your Senior bonus check, young man.

USAA is now much more open to the public and military wide.

tsap seui

Yes I do remember - and it is indeed a pleasure to have them refund some of the money I give them. Not sure if you've also done this - but I've been saving a ton of money by "increasing" my deductibles both for car's and homes. My rationale - if it's under a $1000.00 damage or claim - I wouldn't claim it anyway for fear that would increase my rates - so might as well raise up the deductible. This works with anyone's insurance company - but I'm here to tell all that it is a big cost savings --- at least for me/us. My wife also didn't raise my rates at all because she had two years of driving experience in China prior to coming to the US. UNFORTUNATELY -- the next person in the household that will change the rates is me...as I drift into "REALLY OLD AGE" and they make up for my senility etc.

CHOP SUEY - Enjoy your refund!!

Yes I do remember - and it is indeed a pleasure to have them refund some of the money I give them. Not sure if you've also done this - but I've been saving a ton of money by "increasing" my deductibles both for car's and homes. My rationale - if it's under a $1000.00 damage or claim - I wouldn't claim it anyway for fear that would increase my rates - so might as well raise up the deductible. This works with anyone's insurance company - but I'm here to tell all that it is a big cost savings --- at least for me/us. My wife also didn't raise my rates at all because she had two years of driving experience in China prior to coming to the US. UNFORTUNATELY -- the next person in the household that will change the rates is me...as I drift into "REALLY OLD AGE" and they make up for my senility etc.

CHOP SUEY - Enjoy your refund!!

Mike, I remember us laughing about gettin' so old that USAA was sending us two checks now. Maybe this old stuff isn't so bad....lol My 3 cars with them are early 2000 models but I looked at the amount of subscriber's account money they sent me in December or so, and then yesterday's loyal customer check and darn if they didn't send me back 47% of what I pay for a whole year.

That good money saving info you talked about with raising your deductable. And I too have been very cautious about even making a claim for anything. Been lucky to not have any claims for the last 20 or 25 years. And good Lord knows, a $1,000 these days on the newer cars would only cover a tail light lens....LOL

So just with the info that your wife had driven in China they didn't raise your rates any? That is great news to hear. Did you have to show any documents to back that up...old drivers license, etc? You made me laugh with the fact that the rates may go up as we age....lol Our son is 16 and has no indication that he wants to drive (stays in his room at his desk studying his library of SAT books for his test) but we are buying him a car next year as he'll start his university studies in the fall....not looking forward to seeing what the change will be, at least he'll have the honor roll deductions.

Andrew and Mick, that's great to hear you guys use them too. It is top rate insurance and a very decent price. As I remember they took quick and very fair action on an incident I had when a drunk driver zapped me back in 1975. They paid my hospital bill, my totalled car, and I think even my 8 weeks out of work, upfront and collected from the drunks insurance later.

We've got our personal home with them too, at $250 for the year.. Unfortunately they don't insure commercial property so when we bought the apartments for Wenyan's business I had to find another carrier. The agent asked me about our personal home and my auto insurance. When I told him they were with USAA, he laughed and said, "well, you don't need me."

Hope this info helps anyone shopping for insurance.

tsap seui

I was living down in Miami in 1992 when Hurricane Andrew came to call. Blowing sand a very fine particles of glass did a number on the paint job on both my cars. They had an adjuster out within 48 hours (you can imagine how busy they were after the storm) and I had both cars repainted within ten days. All fully paid for as I had a hurricane clause in my contract that specified any damage due to flying debris was covered at 100 percent. They considered the glass particles "debris" and paid for everything. I really lucked out in that storm insurance wise. I had State Farm on my house and they treated me more than fair.