File Taxes for Stepson?

Hi,

I am preparing to do my taxes and this past year my stepson (20 years old) worked an internship. He made about $ 2,500.00 and we received a w-2 on this. My questions are do I need to file for him on that income individually. If so what form do I use.

I also have been claiming him as a dependent and I am assuming I can still do that..........

The same goes for my son also. He is 16 years old and made around the same amount..................

I just want to know that i am doing everything correctly and lawfully.

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

I am preparing to do my taxes and this past year my stepson (20 years old) worked an internship. He made about $ 2,500.00 and we received a w-2 on this. My questions are do I need to file for him on that income individually. If so what form do I use.

I also have been claiming him as a dependent and I am assuming I can still do that..........

The same goes for my son also. He is 16 years old and made around the same amount..................

I just want to know that i am doing everything correctly and lawfully.

Thanks for the help.

You need to understand that you are responsible for your own tax returns

Check the Form 1040 Instructions under 'Do You Have to File?' - in particular, Chart B - For Children and Other Dependents. If "certain conditions apply, you can elect to include the income of a child" on your own return. But, of course, if you do that he'll be paying taxes as if he were in your bracket.

Also, he should file a return if he is eligible for a refund of any withholding.

Yes, he should file his own tax return. Since you can claim him as a dependent, he will not be able to claim an exemption for himself. Since his income is so low (less than the standard deduction), he should have zero tax, and therefore if there was anything withheld on his W-2, he should be able to get it back.