Stan "The Man" Musial passes

Thomas Promise

Stan the Man was one of the greatest to ever lace up a pair of cleats, that's for sure. A lifetime batting average of .331 puts him in a very elite fraternity. I saw him play in spring training several times as a kid. Back in those days we lived near Payne Park in Sarasota, Florida, spring home of the White Sox for many years. The Cards trained up in Tampa/St. Pete and used to come down to Payne Park for Grapefruit League games.

Earl Weaver also passed away yesterday or the day before. What a character Weaver was. For a long time he held the record for being thrown out of the most games (I think Bobby Cox) finally surpassed him. He had a running grudge with Ron Luciano, the ump that used to have the dramatic ways of calling a guy out. Luciano once threw Weaver out of both games of a double header and on another occasion tossed him out of a game when he brought the lineup card out to home plate before the start of a game.

When I moved to Miami in 1983, the Orioles still trained there in the spring. I used to love to go to their spring training games just to see Earl Weaver.

• Like 1