Waitress training

Speaking of waitresses...when my wife first came here to the US she was struck at how the Chinese servers in the restaurants could speak English with me. I told her several times that they only spoke, "Restaurant English". I explained about them always asking how many? What do you want to drink, Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Seven Up, Root Beer, Ice Tea or Hot Tea? And more drink and thank you. So I showed her one day. After all of the ritualistic chat I asked our server where she was from, after a thousand meter stare she replied, "Thank you" and walked off. So the Lao po asked about it and she was told that she only knew enough English to do her job...true story. ZZ

Guest ExChinaExpat

If you walk about the streets of China in the early morning you will see groups of young men and women assembling outside their workplaces to engage in morning routines. The video posted at the top of this thread shows an extreme routine, but as mentioned by other posters is done more for fun. It's also done for motivation and to promote a sense of teamwork. Social interaction is huge in China. You will be greeted in Chinese when you enter a Chinese restaurant, and when you exit you will be thanked for coming and told to be safe.

Customer service in the USA has turned into customer no-service. For example, years ago when you walked into a MacDonald's you were greeted immediately with: "Welcome to MacDonalds, may I take your order?" It used to be easy to find someone to help you at Home Depot or the grocery store. Today, good luck.

On the other hand, in China, there are workers posted on each and every aisle of the store ready to serve you. You will still be greeted when you walk into MacDonalds or KFC in a manner reminiscent of US days gone by.

Edited by JiangsuExpat (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If you walk about the streets of China in the early morning you will see groups of young men and women assembling outside their workplaces to engage in morning routines. The video posted at the top of this thread shows an extreme routine, but as mentioned by other posters is done more for fun. It's also done for motivation and to promote a sense of teamwork. Social interaction is huge in China. You will be greeted in Chinese when you enter a Chinese restaurant, and when you exit you will be thanked for coming and told to be safe.

Customer service in the USA has turned into customer no-service. For example, years ago when you walked into a MacDonald's you were greeted immediately with: "Welcome to MacDonalds, may I take your order?" It used to be easy to find someone to help you at Home Depot or the grocery store. Today, good luck.

On the other hand, in China, there are workers posted on each and every aisle of the store ready to serve you. You will still be greeted when you walk into MacDonalds or KFC in a manner reminiscent of US days gone by.

I also have seen the morning pep rallies and enjoy the welcomes. It is reminiscent of the old days in the US. Not long ago the wife and I ordered 2 meals at Hardee's (like Carl's) and the space ace boy gave me a bag took my money and when I looked it was only one meal....he told me he didn't know I wanted two...I told him that the woman I had my arm around was going to eat with me and also it was why I held up 2 fingers. So I sent in a card to the company and got a nice letter in return and two coupons. Last week we went to the, "Rack Room Shoes" for new hiking boots. It was all self service...find a shoe you like, search for the box on the shelves, get it down and try on the shoe and if you like take it to the only employee, the cashier and pay. The times, they are a changin'. ZZ