Beginning visa application for a couple with busy lifestyles.

An update along the lines of what my original questions were for the benefit of anyone else.

1. The lawyer named Ellis referenced on this site never answered my emails but maybe he is interested in more complicated applications.
  2. We got married in China 3/6/2013. I completed my US Consulate, Marriage Eligibility Oath in Shenyang. The service is only available Tues. and Thurs. afternoons and you should schedule yourself via the web a couple weeks ahead. They have a quota of people served each day. The US form is amazingly simple but don't attempt to cross out a mistake, you'll have to start over.
  3. We got married in my Wife's hometown province civil headquarters. At the chinese marriage office we had to go back and forth between the domestic floor and the international floor. Bring extra money with you for notarizing, copies, filing, etc. We arrived without photos and they were provided, maybe we paid for them. Best to let them make the exact size they like. My wife forgot to get a medical test in time for results but the chinese marriage office assured her it wasn't actually necessary and there never was a question about it. You can pay to rush the whole filing, $50-$100 US but instead we paid for DHL type shipping and had the package shipped to the hotel we were traveling to quite far from the province capital. No problem. Either way, after a morning in the marriage offices, we had to go back the next morning to finalize a few things. I think one day in and out is not possible. Then like I said we committed to having the completed authorized package sent to us. We paid for a duplicate package, per request of the US visa lawyer.
  4. All of the signed visa immigration forms plus the marriage files will be sent to the US visa lawyer. My wife was able to sign her daughter's forms.
  5. Regarding the subjective relationship info that is never really defined.....our lawyer asked for 8 clear photos printed on photo quality paper showing faces of us together in various places. I'm not sure if sunglasses are a problem. Then a few printed computer chats from each month since we started dating to show constant communication. The lawyer likes to limit this to 50 pages. For practice moving text from chat room memories to my word processor, I printed our first two days of chats. It totals 43 pages, single spaced for each post, double spaced between posts. So I have not figured out how to trim this down with 6 months of daily chats and emails after that..... Then there was a general request for a variety of evidence from thoughout our relationship so I'll include travel and entertainment tickets. But the lawyer intends for that to be part of the 50 pages.
  6. The lawyer requested a typed 1 page description of our relationship. Basically critical dates and places and the basis for such strong feelings for each other. Since we are applying for a visa for her daughter while she is still young enough to get a "child" visa, that letter needs to end with, "I am looking forward to the daughter becoming a member of my family."
  7. We're hoping for early April visa package sent to the lawyer, January visa completed. Travel to the US in mid March, 2014.
  8. Best of luck to everyone, feel free to post a question. I'll try to check in once in a while.
Edited by ART005 (see edit history)

Randy, I just read concern about delays in processing. Are those delays rellevant to the marriage visa we are applying for?

Thanks for the well wishes :-)

You might check this thread - Deferred Action For Childhood Arrivals: http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/45434-daca-the-new-black-hole/

which might affect where and when your petition is processed, but, other than that, the processing typically is done without any hint of what goes on behind the scenes. It's mostly just concern about what is going on when you have little to no feedback for month(s) at a time.