can someone explain what comes next?

hi everyone. now that my wife has her visa in hand and will be in the states on dec. 8th what comes after that? does she need to apply for a green card right away? can we get her a state ID card with the visa? we have been so absorbed in the visa process we never stopped to think about what comes after the visa. and help/hints/advice will be greatly appreciated.

BTW...i was informed last night that we will not be using the heat just need to buy thick quilts and wear more clothes in the house. lol. i live in the mountains....we will see how that goes

If CR-1 or IR-1 visa, the visa will have a notation I-551 which means once entered the USA and endorced at the POE the visa/passport will serve as a green-card until the actual card arrives in the mail.

You can use the passport/visa to travel and work prior to actual card arriving in the mail.

SSN card also should arrive sometime within a month after arriving in the USA, if one fails to arrive, simply visit SSA office and apply for a card.

Most states need SSN and green-card before issuing a state ID at the DMV, they should accept the I-551 notation, but will hold out for a SSN.

so if i understand you correctly they will send her a green card automatically then. thats great. that is very good

Yes automatically, should see it in the mail sometime within 4 weeks after arriving in the USA, if the home address on the DS-230 was correct.

hi everyone. now that my wife has her visa in hand and will be in the states on dec. 8th what comes after that? does she need to apply for a green card right away? can we get her a state ID card with the visa? we have been so absorbed in the visa process we never stopped to think about what comes after the visa. and help/hints/advice will be greatly appreciated.

BTW...i was informed last night that we will not be using the heat just need to buy thick quilts and wear more clothes in the house. lol. i live in the mountains....we will see how that goes

oh! remind her to bring extra personal items (inner clothes, etc.) my wife didn't like anything available in America.

(At walmart she pointed to the bras and said what's THAT?!?.. she thought they were buckets)

2 year green card will come in the mail.

If the social security office is convenient, you can go there with the green card, and they can tell you if a ss card is already in process for your wife, and if not order her a social security card.

The 2 year green card will have an expiration date, 90 days before that expiration you apply for the 10 year green card.

You will need to supply "proof of relationship" at that time.

So, along the way these next 2 years save a bill thats postmarked (date) with both your names addressed to your address.

The drivers license with her address the same as yours is good. (government id showing you live together).

If you have a stepchild now, keep her you can get a note from the school showing the child enrolled with you and their mother as guardians.

your health insurance with you all on it for 2 years.

Start her a credit history (again make sure your on the account too).

Get her driver training, most here will agree spouse teaching spouse to drive is suicide.

She needs a car .. get the title with her name on it, and your shared address.

Friends, we stumbled onto a Chinese church. Most of our wives are not religious, but the church is a good way to meet people, and who knows.

Chinese grocery store.

Education -

Some of the ladies we know went to jr. college for ESL training (I can say it wasn't very useful that I could tell).

My wife wanted a job, her english wasn't bad, but she is impatient. She applied everywhere, and no one interviewed her, so she got a CNA (certified nurse aide) certificate. Those jobs are easy to get, but worked her to death. She got a CMA (ceritifed medication aid) certificate, and hated the job. She got a Massage Therapist Certificate, and like this job a lot.

As for the blanket, that sounds like a promise to me. Counting on her to keep you warm seem like a GREAT idea!

• 2 months later...

:sweating_buckets: Driver Education (husband teaching wife) seemed like a great idea.

We went from newly weds to our 25th anniversary faster than my car took to break down. (new brakes are a must!)

It IS possible, but not for the faint of heart.

Your relationship will be tested.

Make sure you provide some type of task that gives her the feeling of independence and freedom. It took months of driving before I let her take the car by herself.

Today I let her travel home for the New Year. I felt like I was sending a child off to college and I just graduated 5 years ago!