DS-230: Do Internships Count as Employment?

Hi All,

My fiance and I are very confused about this part of the DS-230. She is a graduate student and has had several 1-3 month internships for different companies during her past six years of college. These are your tyical Chinese student internships where they give you a monthly stipend (1,000RMB) to offset travel and apartment rental costs.

Do these count as employment in the eyes of the consulate? Should we be listing them? Any insight would truly be appreciated. :-)

I would list them as employment.

Sometimes the consulate requests a Resume too, I would have one written up and prepared to bring to interview.

I would list them as employment.

Sometimes the consulate requests a Resume too, I would have one written up and prepared to bring to interview.

Hi dnoblett,

Have you heard of the consulate often asking for a resume for a run-of-the-mill K-1 fiance visa interview? Or has it been asked for other particular reasons? I'm just curious as to why they would want a resume if the interview is to evaluate the validity of the relationship and the I-134 (financial strength) of the petitioner, with the financial strength of the beneficiary being almost irrelevant. Thanks in advance for your insight. :victory:

They ask for resume, when trying to determine the motivation behind getting the visa, (Is it for marriage, or perhaps is the visa applicant simply using this as a way to simply get to the USA "Using" an american citizen)

The resume may show employment in a field that may be the primary motivation for coming to the USA with marriage being secondary.

They ask for resume, when trying to determine the motivation behind getting the visa, (Is it for marriage, or perhaps is the visa applicant simply using this as a way to simply get to the USA "Using" an american citizen)

The resume may show employment in a field that may be the primary motivation for coming to the USA with marriage being secondary.

I have a different impression. When they ask for a resume they do so because they need a Security Advisory Opinion. The most common reasons being membership in the Communist Party or having an advanced technical degree. They are trying to determine if you are a security threat to the US if allowed to enter. I don't see how a resume would allow them to judge whether your marriage is bona-fide or not. You could have a bona-fide marriage and still be considered a security threat.

• Like 1