V - Day

knloregon

Not sure what happened to the specific pinned VN thread, and of course, I mean this for all Vets, regardless of how you served us all ---- THANK YOU ~ ! VN was my generation's war, so personally, its a little more specific --- but Vet -- Day is where we get to honor all of you, regardless of the campaign, or service. We are Free because of all of you --- you too Carl....

To all who have served and to those now serving, a heartfelt THANK YOU!

We should never become so complacent that we take our freedoms for granted. Believe me, they were bought and paid for with a heavy price. For me, each Veterans Day is a mixed experience. I have a sense of gratitude, a feeling of pride for having served myself, but also, this day always brings back memories that bring on tears and pain. I recall so vividly holding some kid grunt and applying a pressure bandage trying in vain to stem the flow of blood, while I literally felt the life drift out of him. It happened over and over again. Such a feeling of helplessness and impotence - realizing I was dealing with something so much larger than myself. As I sit here and type this, the tears are flowing again and in an odd way, for that I am also grateful. If it didn't bother me still, I might as well be dead.

I send up prayers of protection for our troops in combat as this day unfolds in lands far away. I send up prayers for their families who suffer in countless ways. And I send up prayers of healing for those who are still suffering from the ravages of having been in the cauldron of hell, whether in our current war or all that came before. I will also call my Dad today. Now 92, my father went ashore the second day on Omaha Beach. I will personally thank him for what he did all those many years ago.

And I send up especially, prayers for peace.

• Like 1

"I send up prayers of protection for our troops in combat as this day unfolds in lands far away. I send up prayers for their families who suffer in countless ways. And I send up prayers of healing for those who are still suffering from the ravages of having been in the cauldron of hell, whether in our current war or all that came before. I will also call my Dad today. Now 92, my father went ashore the second day on Omaha Beach. I will personally thank him for what he did all those many years ago.

And I send up especially, prayers for peace. "

Ahem, Mick ... I'd love to have you as a guest minister at Portland's Chinese Baptist Church.....

"I send up prayers of protection for our troops in combat as this day unfolds in lands far away. I send up prayers for their families who suffer in countless ways. And I send up prayers of healing for those who are still suffering from the ravages of having been in the cauldron of hell, whether in our current war or all that came before. I will also call my Dad today. Now 92, my father went ashore the second day on Omaha Beach. I will personally thank him for what he did all those many years ago.

And I send up especially, prayers for peace. "

Ahem, Mick ... I'd love to have you as a guest minister at Portland's Chinese Baptist Church.....

I'm a heathen and I'd attend that service.

Carl, Mick is WAAAAY ahead of me in spiritual development, both Christian, and among the faiths he sought out after VN. So he's kind of a big picture kind of a guy. He fits as a guest minister, (IMHO), because his experience is not that far off from this congregation: They are all the second and third generation of Chinese Americans, and almost all have generational roots directly back to the the Chinese Exclusion Acts (the church was founded in 1879) --- so they are anything but intolerant. Ironically, the Veterans Day honors skip a generation (or two) in this small congregation ---- the Deacons of this Church both served China, and the United States on the Burma Road. Carl, you and Bing would be most welcome here, if you'd like to attend.

Wow, Kim and Carl, you guys think far too highly of my level of knowledge and spiritual attainment. I struggle with the same issues as everyone else and probably fail more than most. I do, however, speak at churches from time to time, as well as service clubs like the Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions, Civitan, and also quite often at local chapters of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. I would be honored to speak at the Chinese Baptist Church in Portland if I am ever out that way. I often wonder why these folks invite me to speak as I do not possess any great range of expertise in any area. That is not false humility, either - instead, it is a statement of fact.

Mick, At its most elemental, and NOT assuming what I already know about you --- Extreme events register extreme responses. Do most combat vets returning from VN question their spiritual base ~ ? (and yeah, after they have hit rock bottom) I obviously, don't know. I do know, from your postings here, that once you, at the bottom of your own post war existence, pressed your own internal 'reset button', you regained control of your existence. Its a great story, and worth retelling. Unfortunately, I also do know that this small congregation, probably can't pay to bring you out. (its been discussed in another case recently). How are you feeling ?