Resident voting in a federal election.

warpedbored

I'm very much a' Rule of Law' kind of a guy, but for me, the big question is: Why shouldn't LEGAL aliens be able to vote? At least, in local and state elections. ---- we all know, that even if they apply for citizenship, it will be at least several years (minim) before they attain it --- meanwhile, they are building families, and mentioned in a earlier post --- voting --- in the PTA, the neighborhood association, and other less formal venues of their every day lives. They are LEGALLY here in the US --- shouldn't they be able to vote on the policies that affect them directly, and their families??

Sure, true to form, even though I'm and old Kennedy Democrat, (which is to say, a political centrist, at this point) my wife Fei (from the old Communist family) is far to the right, on most issues we discuss...

Hi All,

When my wife became a citizen, we took her certificate of naturalization to the county registrar here in Mississippi to register to vote, and she refused to even let us take it out of the envelope. She told us it was against federal law for her to ask for or even look at any kind of identification. I'm not too sure about that, it seems like I remember having to show a utility bill to prove my residence waaayy back when I registered...

My wife loves being able to vote. She hasn't missed an election since registering, and takes her civic responsibilities seriously! I guess it's because she never voted in China. She reads the local newspaper religiously, and takes a keen interest in our local, state, and national politics!

Best Wishes

Hi All,

When my wife became a citizen, we took her certificate of naturalization to the county registrar here in Mississippi to register to vote, and she refused to even let us take it out of the envelope. She told us it was against federal law for her to ask for or even look at any kind of identification. I'm not too sure about that, it seems like I remember having to show a utility bill to prove my residence waaayy back when I registered...

My wife loves being able to vote. She hasn't missed an election since registering, and takes her civic responsibilities seriously! I guess it's because she never voted in China. She reads the local newspaper religiously, and takes a keen interest in our local, state, and national politics!

Best Wishes

That sounds very cool. Or either she's spy for China. :surprise: