Green card holders retire abroad, ss benefits

credzba

In one of the citizenship posts, I found this list from Don.
Also, if you search online you can find "Green card holders only get half of the benefits" on many non-government immigration sites.

I called the Social Security office, and they did not say anything about green card holders only getting half their benefit.
I ran the social security payments abroad tool http://www.ssa.gov/i..._outsideUS.html
It said nothing about half payments.
I checked the social security nonresident alien tax screening tool (25.8%) http://www.ssa.gov/i...l/AlienTax.html

While I see this 1/2 social security benefits on many immigration pages, I couldn't find it on any government pages.

Anyone able to point me to the US government saying that green card holders only get half their benefit if retiring overseas?

Another benifit of US citizenship is FULL retirement benifits.

Here is a list I found:

• A Citizen Can Vote
    A citizen has the right to vote for elected officials at the federal, state and local levels who shape the policy of the government.
  • Dual Citizenship (Currently N/A with China)
    Certain countries, including Ireland and the United Kingdom, recognize "dual citizenship" permitting naturalized U.S. citizens to maintain their citizenship of birth and original passport.
  • Citizens Can Bring More Relatives From Abroad, More Quickly
    Citizens can petition for a wider variety of family members to come to the US as permanent residents. They also have much shorter waiting times for green cards, and no limits.
  • Citizens Cannot be Deported
    Most of us never expect to commit a crime, but if we are the victims of circumstance, in the wrong place at the wrong time, as citizens, we cannot be deported. We also don't need to worry about a lost green card or too-long stay outside the US preventing us from re-entering.
  • Citizens Can Retire Abroad With Full Social Security Benefits
    Citizens who retire abroad get all their Social Security benefits. Green card holders only get half of the benefits they earned.
  • Citizens are Entitled to More Public Benefits
    Citizens are eligible for more public benefits, including Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Food Stamps, as well as certain academic scholarships and financial aid.
  • A US Citizen Can Hold Office and Have More Job Opportunities
    Only a citizen has the right to hold an elected position in most city, state or federal offices. Many federal, state and city jobs also require citizenship.
  • Adopted or Natural Children Under 18 May be Naturalized Automatically
    Depending on the circumstances, children born abroad, who are under 18 years of age and unmarried may be able to naturalize automatically when a parent does so.
  • Citizens Have More Financial and Tax Benefits
    Citizens often receive approval on loans and mortgages more easily, and/or they get better rates, because the lender knows there is less chance they will defect. Citizens are often subject to fewer restrictions on estate taxes as well.
  • Citizens Don't Have to Worry About Renewing a Green Card Every 10 Years
    We have enough to worry about with passports and other paperwork. As citizens, we don't have to worry about renewing a green cards every ten years.

http://immigration.about.com/od/whybecomea...0CitizenBen.htm

The only pain as others have said is having to renew visit visa.