Proof of Marriage stateside

computerguy

Hello!

I have recently have been trying to help my wife get into school and its been a BIG pain.

They don't want to classify her in-state, but since we are married in TN that makes her automatically in-state.

They want me to fill out this long form and long story short the form asks for a copy of marriage certificate.

What do I do? Is my Chinese translated marriage certificate from China acceptable? Do I have to get married again here in the states???

I'm totally lost at what to do. Help me!

(on a slightly unrelated note, does anyone have experience about getting student loans - I figured there might be a problem with this since I had to sign a document saying she wouldn't be liability to the government, but everything I've read says permanent green card holders can apply)

The Chinese marriage cert and translation should work fine.

I worked in the Bursars office of a college, so keep in mind in some cases the school wants proof of residing in the state at least 6 months prior to class to consider as a state resident. Get a state ID for her, such as learners permit, or non-driver's license.

As for student loans a green card holder qualifys, it is not a means tested benefit.