Visa to visit U.S.

JamesnYuHong

This questions concerns a U.S. tourist visa for a young woman (age 20) in China and her father. They are connected to my wife's family by marriage, though they are not blood relatives. My wife is friends with the young woman, who is a college student, and they want to come visit us for a few weeks. (They all loosely call themselves cousins.)

What can we do to help them be approved for tourist visas? I know that young single woman sometimes have a tough time getting such visas. We have prepared invitation letters. What documents would be best to bring to the interview? How likely are their chances of being approved?

I would think that the fact she is coming with her father would help but the main thing the consulate is looking for is that they will return to China. For the father, his job, home, financial status, wife or other family relationships that would compel him to return. For the daughter, enrollment in college, or job if she's working etc. An invitation letter from you laying out the itinerary and your relationship with them might be helpful but the primary focus should be on why they will return to China.

• Like 1