U.S. grants visa-free status to Taiwan

http://www.ministryo...izens-covet-it/

Interesting to see if there will be any backlash from the Mainland Government. This is also unique as it is the first non-sovereignty to be added to the Visa Waiver Program

Well, I'm not sure what to say about this other than i have heard about this on some Chinese TV stations CCTV4 and a few others.

I know the wife is not to happy about this and the phone in our house has been ringing off the hook.

I myself, Not to happy!

I could go off on one of my rants but it would become too political and that is a no-no here.

Mike

On the one hand, its an outrage --- on another --- logic (if there is any at DOS) suggests that this advances the cause of unencumbered travel between the US and PRC.

China has, since I've been going over, met unreasonable US visa demands (and additional expenses) ---- in kind, and almost immediately. Would be great to see the trend go the other way.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a tightly and strictly controlled requirement which Taiwan finally meet... Rules are rules. The PRC has never seen to want to follow those rules.

The nice thing about rules is you know who follows them and who doesn't want to follow them... and those who try to circumvent them, which in this case cannot be done expect through illegal immigration. Thus, it is not the government which attempts this latter but the people.

"..and those who try to circumvent them, which in this case cannot be done expect through illegal immigration. Thus, it is not the government which attempts this latter but the people. "

David, how is this different from PRC?

I was talking about the PRC.

Meaning, since the government is not interested to abide by national rules for visa-free status, it has put the people in a position of having more difficult access; that spirals into people trying to go illegally... which spirals into more safeguards... which spirals into more attempts in different ways.

Tell a child 'no' to the candy and he can't stop thinking about how to get it :happydance:

That aside... my wife says: Why would Taiwanese go back to Taiwan if they can get into the US for free now? I said, they can freely go back and forth without any risk at all. They can probably even research jobs in the US and make contacts, etc if they are really interested to figure out how to legally stay here instead of living a life of an illegal.

We meet a lady from Taiwan who is married to a Taiwanese turned USC living in the US. They have been married 2 years... and she just came to the US on a B-2; then she filed to stay here.

So my wife asked her: Why didn't you do the CR1 2 years ago? You would be here already over a year. The girl said she heard it was 'hard' and wanted for this time... My understanding is that their process is much easier than being in the mainland. But the fear factor causes me to shake my head. She would rather wait to try some 'end-around' to the visa laws then just do it straightforward 2 years ago. I am sure if she had to wait 5 years she would... and that is a defining difference in how they view marriages [put on hold].