Home buying in the states with non U.S. citizen spouse.

carl.hops

I have good news to share, yesterday Yakun got a B2 Tourist visa to go with me and visit my parents. Apparently the visa officer was impressed by her English after asking a few simple questions about her and me, then said, enjoy your trip to America. I guess this means we won't have any problems getting tourist visa's anywhere else after our trip, Australia is next!

• Like 1

Great news for you guys. Glad to see someone have success with dealings with USCIS and State Department workers. That's the way it should be.

You're gonna love Australia when you go down under. We're talking about a possible 2014 trip to see my friends in Oz, and march in another Anzac Day parade with the Aussies. Both Australia and New Zealand have a magic about them. Put NZ down on your list of travels at some point....rent a car and tour the south island. Take a chopper ride up to the snow pack up above the glacier on (as I recall Mt. Tasman). Unbelievable to stand up on top of the world on the southern Alps

I'm really happy to see life working out for you and your lady. Have fun and live life to it's fullest.

tsap seui

• 1 month later...

I've been looking into banks located in China and the states to transfer money over without any fees and it looks pretty hopeless. HSBC Premier offers a good service only if you have a combined deposit of cash and assets of 100,000 or more. We only have the cash. You can take more than 10,000 with you when you enter the United States but you have to claim it. It wont be taxed either. The only problem is, I don't want to be lugging around 150,000 USD in China or the states and I'm almost certain we would be stuck in customs for a few hours while they make sure we're not money launderers, traffickers or drug dealers. I guess we'll just have to take the hit and wire transfer the money. Apparently anything over three thousand USD or so set's off alarms in which banks are required to report to the IRS which could mean weeks of the funds not being available while they make sure we're not criminals.

I've been looking into banks located in China and the states to transfer money over without any fees and it looks pretty hopeless. HSBC Premier offers a good service only if you have a combined deposit of cash and assets of 100,000 or more. We only have the cash. You can take more than 10,000 with you when you enter the United States but you have to claim it. It wont be taxed either. The only problem is, I don't want to be lugging around 150,000 USD in China or the states and I'm almost certain we would be stuck in customs for a few hours while they make sure we're not money launderers, traffickers or drug dealers. I guess we'll just have to take the hit and wire transfer the money. Apparently anything over three thousand USD or so set's off alarms in which banks are required to report to the IRS which could mean weeks of the funds not being available while they make sure we're not criminals.

???

You're talking about transferring money from China to the U.S., right? $10,000USD is the reporting limit. Any delay in availability would come from your bank, not the IRS.

Carl, the rule is $10,000 or more in any 24 hour period. If you don't want anything reported to IRS you have to care about that 24 hour period, as well as keeping below the 10K

I don't know of anyway around fees to send the money. And if a smart guy like Mike couldn't find a way around it, I'm sure it's not there unless you feel lucky and carry it in split up on you and your luggage somehow. Just gonna have to pay some fees buddy.

Good luck and have a happy.

tsap seui

Yep, <$10,000 is the cut-off...ya know they are making some fine (innocent) looking money belts these days and you can do as a hillbilly like Tsap would do and stuff your shoes full. I have heard the Bank of China now has branches in the US...for sure in NYC. And I believe the last time I bought property here (Florida) I had to give my SS# and I know for sure you have to give it when you sell property. (for IRS) And I envy you plan to visit Oz, it's on my list...but I ain't riddin' on no chopper, no where, no mo! G'luck!

:victory:

• 2 weeks later...

Except when your wife puts an orange in the bag and dog - sniffs you out in customs - boy was that embarrassing - good thing I hadn't brought back large sums.....wire transfer the only way to live safely.

I remember one time coming back from Greece and my grandmother wanted me to give my mother some homemade oregano that she had made. When I was asked to open my case the officer paused and then looked and me and asked "Oregano?" I nodded my head and he let me go with it. If it wasn't for the strong smell I'm sure he would have thought it was something else.

On another note, we have received a wire transfer from China of a large sum of money that was delivered to BOA without any problems here.