Received NOA, What Next?

I would hand write in address in places where not enough space, or make note like "See Attached" and attach a sheet with note indicating form and line the addendum sheet is for, along with the whole address.

Daughter's DS-230 can list mother as accompanying.

They are processing both visas at same time, so should make the connection.

Yep current address.

• 1 month later...

OK, enough with the distractions. I've been spending too much time trying to setup a business here in China. Now it's back to Visa work.

On the I-864 question 9. I am sponsoring the following family members immigrating at the same time or within 6 months of the principle immigrant named in part 2 above. Do not include any relative listed on a separate visa petition.

Do I include my step-daughter on this since she has her own visa petition in the works?

OK, enough with the distractions. I've been spending too much time trying to setup a business here in China. Now it's back to Visa work.

On the I-864 question 9. I am sponsoring the following family members immigrating at the same time or within 6 months of the principle immigrant named in part 2 above. Do not include any relative listed on a separate visa petition.

Do I include my step-daughter on this since she has her own visa petition in the works?

Yes from the logic of the wording, you need to fill out two I-864 s one for spouse and one for step child, on spouse's I-864 list step child in quest 9, and on the stepchild's I-864 list spouse in question 9, and on both I-864 do not count spouse as "spouse" because they are immigrating and being sponsored at this time.

• 1 month later...

Heading back to the US on Sunday to get I-864 business done. I also have a tax question. I have filed a tax return for the years I've been in China but this is the first year that I will be filling since I have married. What do I need to show in order to add the wife and the step daughter onto my return. Also any information on how to setup a joint bank account in the US?

Bubba

Heading back to the US on Sunday to get I-864 business done. I also have a tax question. I have filed a tax return for the years I've been in China but this is the first year that I will be filling since I have married. What do I need to show in order to add the wife and the step daughter onto my return. Also any information on how to setup a joint bank account in the US?

Bubba

You'll need 3 years of tax returns for yourself and the co-sponsor. Probably too late now but you needed what is called an ITIN number (since your wife has no SS number) to put your wife on your tax return. If it was me and at this late stage, look up the IRS rule and form for ITIN, file the ITIN number and write in the block on your returns..."ITIN filed for". I'm not sure about your daughter being included. From the states I couldn't include my step son on my returns. Took me hours to find it but I could not do it, only the wife. You know the IRS, they will let you get an ITIN number for a spouse that has never been in the states but no go for a step child who has never been in the states.

Joint bank account. I've read of some that actually were able to do that.....not any of the 5 banks I went to would put her name on a joint account....NO SS NUMBER=no joint bank account. And I couldn't get her a SS # until she got to the states, only an ITIN.

Good luck, I'd write the wife in on the returns for the years you were married and work it out with the IRS later as you probably have NO TIME to get through the ITIN process at this stage. Jont bank account? ask around when you get back ot teh states, probably not going to happen and while it would be nice, it isn't that terribly important in the overall scheme of things. Hell, you've been living with the woman in China for awhile, you've got much better evidence than that....lol

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Bubba

Wife will need an ITIN, however, IRS has cracked down on issuing them requiring a certified copy of passport issued by Chinese authorities, which the authorities will not do. The crackdown has to do with undocumented aliens taking advantage of ITINs to file returns claiming many children either living in the states or not getting refunded child credits, costing the USA Billions.

It is best to simply file return as "Married filing separate" and after spouse enters the USA file an amended return after spouse gets a SSN

SEE: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/45170-getting-a-certified-copy-of-a-chinese-passport/

Bubba

To file jointly, you need only the ITIN. No proof of marriage is required for the return

There are new procedures to follow for 2012 that should be released for this tax year. However, the Instructions and Publications on the IRS don't seem to be updated yet for 2012, unless I'm missing something. The procedure for applying for an ITIN has changed in that a certified copy is required. I believe in the thread Dan linked to that we discussed that. I'll check in the morning to see if there is an update. I think I remember someone reporting that at least two of the consulates were already offering certified copies, but I don't see it in that thread.

. . . and I believe tsap is correct about the step-daughter - you won't be able to claim her until she is in the U.S.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Here is the latest, dated Jan. 10

Obtaining an ITIN from Abroad

Effective January 1, 2013, new ITIN procedures take affect for the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) application process. Some of the information below, including the documentation requirements for individuals seeking an ITIN, has been superseded by these changes. Taxpayers and their representatives should review these changes, which are further explained in these Frequently Asked Questions, before requesting an ITIN.

Alien taxpayers who need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) may be able to secure one from outside the United States.

The IRS has permanent staff available that is able to help process Forms W-7, IRS Application Number and Instructions (PDF) at the following U.S. embassies overseas: Beijing, Frankfurt, London, and Paris. The addresses and phone numbers of these overseas offices may be found at Contact My Local Office Internationally. In addition, there are public accounting firms overseas in certain countries which are Authorized Acceptance Agents for ITIN numbers. You will find their names and addresses at the Acceptance Agent Program page.

Instructions for Form W-7 (dated Jan., 2013)

You can submit copies of original documents if you do any of the following.

• Have the copies certified by the issuing agency.
  • Have the officers at U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas provide certification and authentication services. Contact the Consular Section, American Citizens Services of the U.S. embassy or consulate in advance to determine the hours of operation for these services.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I'm in the US getting my tax returns and bank statements for myself and my co-sponsor together. I have a scan of his drivers license for a picture ID what other form of ID might I need?

I have 3 months worth of bank statements, 3 years of tax returns for both of us. Is there anything else that me be needed for a I-864 form that may be necessary? I leave for China on Sunday.

Joint sponsor needs to provide evidence of US citizenship or permanent residence. DL is not considered as proof of citizenship or residence.

Should attach copy of birth cert, naturalization cert or bio page from US passport, or copy of green card, copy of docs should be of front and back side of document.

Evidence currently employed, copies of recent pay stubs, Letter from employer?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back in China now and sprucing up the OF-169, DS-230 and the I-864 for the wife and step-daughter and I'm kind of confused on what needs to be mailed off to Guangzhou to schedule the interview.

Do I send just the OF-169 and the DS-230 or the OF-169 and the DS-230 along with all the documents that is on the checklist that applies to us?

I have ready the OF-169, DS-230, I-864

2-Shipping labels

6-Photos

birth certificates

passport pages

police records check

Also on the DS-230 on line 44 Were you assisted completing this application? I marked "Yes" and listed myself for both my wife and step daughter is this OK?

On my stepdaughters DS-230 on lines 31a, 31b should I list her mother as accompanying her to the US? Or should I leave it blank since lines 14 and 29 are blank as they refer to spouse and children?

Very stressful time as I want to make sure all our bases are being covered.

Thanks much for your help

Bubba

Study the OF-169 what does it say to send to the consulate?

OF-169 and DS-230 only, all documents listed in the OF-169 are brought to the interview at the consulate, OF-169 says anything else sent to them will be discarded.

And yes on the DS-230 list others who will be immigrating at same time, note a US Citizen spouse is not immigrating so need not be listed as accompanying.

Thought so, my wife was showing me a post from an expert on a different site that said send everything. I didn't want to start an argument so I decided to diplomatacly post the question here...lol

Also on the DS-230 on the "Don't write below this line box". I'm kind of weirded out that there is no place for a signature on this form. So will my wife and my step daughter sign the DS-230 in Guangzhou?

I'm going to try and mail the paperwork off on Friday.

Yes will sign the form in front of the officer at document intake the day before interview.

That is why the line saying do not write below line.

Also study OF-169 I believe you send DS-230 part 1 to consulate and bring part 2 to document intake, or then again they may simply have file handy an pull out DS-230 that was mailed and have sign.