Chinese Consulate in USA Slowdown on VISA and Authentication/Notarizat

Did you talk with the Entry-Exit folks? When I got my work/residence permit, I wasn't required to leave the country or get a Z-visa. They should be able to at least set you up with a 365-day stay L-visa or residence permit - well, if you were married. They may still be able to help you in some way, though.

Yes, I've been everywhere, asked all the entry-exit folks, the department of labor, and all the so 靠谱 visa agencies, and it's all basically the same message, so I figure that's the situation we've been dealt currently. Yes Dan, I suspect it has alot to do with the upcoming change of power, as well as the "100 days crackdown against foreigners," which I believe began on July 1st.

Unfortunately, no, not married yet, otherwise that would definitely work towards my favor visa wise.

Also, after I first came back to China 2+ years ago on my travel visa, I subsequently changed it to a business visa. In Mainland China, you're only allowed one visa type switch, and I already used that. So, it has been explained to me that this is why I will need to go to Hong Kong - I can't switch again from business to work visa. Once I go to Hong Kong and come back in on my Z visa, because I got that outside of Mainland China, if for some reason I would want to switch my Z visa to a different type of visa, I would be able to do that without leaving the Mainland. This is how it's been explained to me, and I've exhausted all my options, and I'd definitely like to avoid a Hong Kong trip if I can, so I think it must be true, as least with the current visa policy as it is.......who's to say if things will change once again after the October 1st switchover......

Edited by dan1984 (see edit history)

"Foreign devils"

As I recall that term "Foreign devils" was first coined by the US State Department immigration and non-immigration visa officers, both in Guangzhou, China as well as the other US consulates in China.

Only fitting that the Chinese should use that term now. Turn about is fair play, and as momma always said, "Buck Wheat, you best be careful as that finger you are pointing at others has 3 more pointing right back at yourself."

tsap seui

Actually it is a Chinese term that goes way back to the days of the opium wars or even before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gweilo

Gui Lao is simply a more modern phrase which reflects thousands of years of contempt for 'outsiders'. As far as their history goes back in oral tradition, there are 'Gui Fan' (devil or ghost regions) which are contrasted with the Central plains (Zhong Yuan > Zhong Hua > Zhong Guo = China).

It all started as tribal contempt in the fabled Xia Dynasty: Hui (our prosperous land) and Yi (barbarians dressed in wraps instead of sewn clothes).

Enough history lessons... Back to Doug's topic.

Randy your document was ready this morning and I have it. They put a Green visa size label on the backside of the Secretary of State page. So your set.

My stuff was not ready because it said something about a copy not full. So, of course they didn't approve either document. I turned it back and they had many people look at it, then they stamped it SAME DAY in red letters after I told her I am leaving tomorrow. I have to pick up at 3. I'm getting pissed, but I told the girl to please approve the one document if they cannot do both, for whatever reason. (I have a feeling I am headed for some trouble in China with a divorce from a Chinese citizen, but will report on this later. Already the consulate is giving me some crap, yet being helpful - confusing. It must be my good looks and charm for all the overcome.) :D

Anyway I did not find out more other than they were delaying all until Wednesday, though you really don't know what they are doing for Chinese passport holders. The girl in window 4 DROP OFF calls people out of the main line in Chinese, before taking others. I asked a lady yesterday and verified today window 4 is just to help them ASAP. It's natural they get first and best service.

PS: Dan I wish you luck. I have no idea about other Consulates, but it sounds like some of the ideas here make sense. Maybe I can ask someone, but then again I may be a bit pissed and storm out if turned down again. Maybe my one page, copied from their on line webpage is not printed clear enough as an original, though I did put it in WORD and fill in the blanks. Somehow the letters look a little weird. I am beginning to wonder if that is the issue. Live in learn. At least I made an appointment for the Shanghai US consulate as a fall back.

Stress makes my bowels get in an uproar. I am about to visit the WC for the 3rd time. Also I puffed up, which means in a few days, in China, I will be up all night draining down to normal big size. ........ :D Well, at least I am smaller than a month ago. All my pants and pance are falling off. Cousin's wife picked up my laundry back home. Ahh, overcomes are working.

Edited by Doug (see edit history)

Success! Both my documents were ready at 2:30 just like she said. Certified certificate of Certification all complete. That is 3 certs for one document, county, State, & China. Such is international paperwork.

I talked with the guard. He said both the same day service, and the expedited service were eleminated August 1. All you can get is 3 day service now. He said people who travel a lot to China and Chinese have told him it is due to the politics of China at this time. When it is all over things should return to normal.

So for now fellas, PLAN YOUR TRIPS with any document or visa needing at least 3 days. And like Randy says have all that invite stuff too.... I came to town without a change of clothes, WRONG! :D (my bowels feel better now too)

Nothin' like the last 10 feet of a man's bowels feeling good, Doug. Dealing with official's and their paperwork always seems to necessitate a good colonic cleansing. :happydance:

Have a great trip. Make plenty of memories and build a strong kitchen sink.

tsap seui

Success! Both my documents were ready at 2:30 just like she said. Certified certificate of Certification all complete. That is 3 certs for one document, county, State, & China. Such is international paperwork. I talked with the guard. He said both the same day service, and the expedited service were eleminated August 1. All you can get is 3 day service now. He said people who travel a lot to China and Chinese have told him it is due to the politics of China at this time. When it is all over things should return to normal. So for now fellas, PLAN YOUR TRIPS with any document or visa needing at least 3 days. And like Randy says have all that invite stuff too.... I came to town without a change of clothes, WRONG! :D (my bowels feel better now too)

Do you happen to know if that is just for obtaining visas in the US, or includes Hong Kong as well?

Success! Both my documents were ready at 2:30 just like she said. Certified certificate of Certification all complete. That is 3 certs for one document, county, State, & China. Such is international paperwork. I talked with the guard. He said both the same day service, and the expedited service were eleminated August 1. All you can get is 3 day service now. He said people who travel a lot to China and Chinese have told him it is due to the politics of China at this time. When it is all over things should return to normal. So for now fellas, PLAN YOUR TRIPS with any document or visa needing at least 3 days. And like Randy says have all that invite stuff too.... I came to town without a change of clothes, WRONG! :D (my bowels feel better now too)

Do you happen to know if that is just for obtaining visas in the US, or includes Hong Kong as well?

He may already be on his way out here, so I'll answer for him - no, we've only heard from the Houston consulate. They haven't changed their web site to reflect that. I'm fairly sure it's due to increased processing/verification times because of the whole "foreign devils" thing, so it just might affect Hong Kong (and the Z visas) as well.

He may already be on his way out here, so I'll answer for him - no, we've only heard from the Houston consulate. They haven't changed their web site to reflect that. I'm fairly sure it's due to increased processing/verification times because of the whole "foreign devils" thing, so it just might affect Hong Kong (and the Z visas) as well.

Fun!!!.............we'll see, I'll be sure to let you know. Like I said, probably heading down there about a month from now.