Hi, All,

I just found nice place where lots info is so helpful.

My case is ......

I have been woring in China for a local company during last three years and my imcome was ~ $55K/Y. I just filed I-130 at Beijing two weeks ago and am preparing the I-864. We intend to move back to us after she get her CR-1 visa. But, I will not have a income for the first couple months after it due to the obvious reason. I can go and find a friend to file the joint sponsor. But, I do have some saving which probably can cover certain period of time after we move to the US. So, my question is, except the joint sponsor. can I and my wife use our cash as support in I-864 without a salary income.

Regards

Sonny

Yes, Cash can be counted as an asset, list it. Attach bank statements showing this asset, I would probably show a few past statements showing this has been a balance for a while.

You will also be required to show you maintained domicile in the USA while living abroad, US bank accounts, DL, mail to a US address, etc... Perhaps showing actively looking fro work in the USA.

Yes, Cash can be counted as an asset, list it. Attach bank statements showing this asset, I would probably show a few past statements showing this has been a balance for a while.

You will also be required to show you maintained domicile in the USA while living abroad, US bank accounts, DL, mail to a US address, etc... Perhaps showing actively looking fro work in the USA.

But I think his question is, will the assets be enough to fulfill all requirements of the I-864, or should he still get a co-sponsor as well just to be on the safe side.........?

Sorry, Sonny, I'm not sure I have the answers for you......but I know Dan (Dnoblett) most certainly will.

Best of luck!

Dan

Hi, All,

I just found nice place where lots info is so helpful.

My case is ......

I have been woring in China for a local company during last three years and my imcome was ~ $55K/Y. I just filed I-130 at Beijing two weeks ago and am preparing the I-864. We intend to move back to us after she get her CR-1 visa. But, I will not have a income for the first couple months after it due to the obvious reason. I can go and find a friend to file the joint sponsor. But, I do have some saving which probably can cover certain period of time after we move to the US. So, my question is, except the joint sponsor. can I and my wife use our cash as support in I-864 without a salary income.

Regards

Sonny

That "certain period of time" needs to be at least three years (even that may not be enough), OR you need to have some serious job prospects, OR you need the co-sponsor.

Yes, I would have a joint sponsor lined up and an I-864 prepared by them just in case the consulate demands it, yes they will be concerned with how immigrant would be supported after arrival in the USA, and unless you can show that your employment will continue after arrival or have a job offer for a job that you will take after arrival they will want to see some other ways you will support yourselves.

Other option is if you have liquid assets valued at 3 times 125% poverty level for your family size. Just under 60K (19K x 3) http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf (More if have dependent children) This assumes the worse case scenario of being unemployed for three years at which time the immigrant could conceivably apply for and become a US Citizen.