One of my buddies who also brought a Chinese wife over to the US needs to start the process for his wife's son; his stepson. This is what I have advised and I just want to double check I am correct.

His wife has a copy of her son's birth certificate but does not have a Chinese Notary Copy (White Book). I told him that USCIS here in the US will accept any certified translation done by a qualified translator. While Guangzhou will likely want to see a White Book, his wife can get that later after the I-130 petition is approved. The point of this is to eliminate one extra trip to China for his wife.

They should have everything else they need to file the I-130: Marriage Certificate, Her Divorce Certificate, His (Step-father) Birth Certificate as Proof of US Citiizenship.

And another related question, since the stepson will enter after the two year marriage anniversary (they are aiming for next summer) he will get a 10-year green card? His wife's Removal of Conditions is due late next year.

Sounds like a plan.

Yes if entry happens after parent has two years of residency and has removed conditions on conditional residency, then step child should get a 10 year resident card. I am not sure what would happen if step child enters during the period where parent is in process of removing conditions.