K3 + putting immigration visa 'on hold'?

My wife is a Chinese citizen and I am an American citizen, we have been married for three years, living in China and now we have a son who got his American passport through a consular report of birth abroad. We want to go to the US so my family can meet the new baby, but we plan to continue living in China for several more years. My wife has neither job, nor real estate, the only demonstrable strong ties to China that I can think of are my job, and a lease on an appartment. We could do the freezing a bank account thing, but that seems to fall a bit short of what the consulate asks for to grant a B2 visa.

Somewhere online my wife read that it was possible get a K3 visa to go to the US then put the application for an immigration visa 'on hold'. I was wondering if anyone had heard of this, or if it might even be possible given the processes involved.

Thanks

Firstly K-3 is not an option if you file for an immigrations visa at the consulate in China, it will be an IR-1 Spouse Immigrant visa, K-3 is only a state side option, and even in that case the reason it was offered no longer exist (LONG Processing time for immigrant visa petitions). SEE: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40925

Your only options are either B-2 showing ties to China or filing for an immigrant IR-1 visa (AT Much Higher Cost and time) which results in a green-card which you would be abandoning shortly after returning to China.