AOS interview coming soon

Ni hao:

Found a link here, posted a couple of years ago, to a list of frequently asked questions at AOS interviews. Thank heavens. We have one scheduled for 7/31, so time's of the essence. Anyone have add'l/new questions, which have been asked at their interview? Also, has anyone encountered a problem for income only a smidgeon above the 125% of poverty level, where I'm at? Since the wife speaks and understands almost no English still, everything financial is in my name only thus far, except for her lease agreement. My bank says only a state ID will do, but could not get one with an expired visa, passport and social security number. Will try again with the EAD. Perhaps an usual circumstance: We have lived apart in different cities, since last summer, when she officially became employed, so our married time together has been short. She arrived January, '11, married April. Another problem to be addressed? Circumstances do not allow me to move and commuting expense is hellacious. Have not yet filed a F1040 for '11, but have filed a timely extension for a joint filing. Lost contact with my life insurance company long ago, which was bought out and had a name change I think, and I have not had medical insurance since 1983. Seems we're behind the 8 ball on a few fronts, so will take advice from anywhere. Will study the questions and answer honestly. Thanks for reading and even moreso, for your help.

hnsensei

Wow, a number of big issues here, firstly if you were like most people adjusting from a K-1 you would not even see an interview but your situation created a lot of questions to come up on the part of immigrations. Arrive Jan marriage April is not an issue as long as the marriage happened within the 90 days after arrival.

The issues:

1. Not living together, they are going to ask a lot of questions, the K-1 visa is meant for coming to the USA and marriage, and marriage typically means living together. Your situation looks like the priority is work, not married life.
  2. The bank's requirement for state ID is pure B.S. try a different branch or demand a branch manager. Yes they tend to demand a SSN and some form of ID, the passport should be sufficient.
  3. Late filing a tax return? What is the hold up? Also it should be a joint return.
  4. Barely above the 125% for the I-864 tend to not be an issue with USCIS, they tend to be quite literal with this either you are or are not suited to support, I have not seen posts where USCIS demands assets to be added or a joint sponsor when income is enough. You can always prepare another I-864 showing more current income, and add assets like a savings account, CD's, property etc to it. (Study the I-864 instructions about what is considered to be a good asset)

You will need to get a third party interpreter for the interview, they will not allow a spouse to act as an interpreter.

I would not be surprised if they conduct a stokes interview, where they separate you and ask personal questions of each of you and then compare responses, living apart like that is not convincing that the marriage was entered into in good faith.

A good read about a Stokes Interview:

http://immigrationro...ssing-times.php

http://www.statusimm...sInterview.html

http://stokes-interv...-questions.html

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Good luck to you tomorrow, Howard...

I know completely the complexity of your case, so I wish you such good luck. You got me interested in going to China to find Mei and I am so blessed and wish you the same...

Tell them how it is...

Henry