I am very sad today

I just found out that my oldest friend has stage 4 liver cancer and isn't expected to live more than two weeks. We first met when I was ten years old and my family moved to Nampa Idaho. He only lived about a half mile away which by rural Idaho standards is almost next door. We grew up together, went to High school together and even got laid for the first time at the same time in his old Rambler. My date and I in the front seat his date and him in the back seat. After High school we went in the Army together and were roommates afterward until I got married the first time. Dave had sarcasm down to an art form and if you didn't know him you wouldn't think he liked anyone. The ladies loved him and he was never without female companionship. Dave married and had three beautiful daughters. All grown women now.

21 years ago I quit drinking. Dave wasn't so lucky and could never seem to keep his demons in the bottle. He dried out I don't know how many times and went to rehab 3 times. His wife finally got fed up and divorced him a year ago. His drinking increased. 3 days ago his daughter took him to the hospital. Two days ago they diagnosed stage 4 liver cancer. I doubt I'll be able to get there before he passes but I've been talking to him daily. He still has his sense of humor. We were taking about an old girlfriend and he said "she's not too bad for and old broad who don't sweat too much."

Dave you will be missed terribly. I hope your demons are finally at bay.

Lifelong friends are a rarity, indeed. I am so sorry to hear about his liver cancer and the prognosis. Even though it hurts, perhaps his passing will be a blessing in that he won't have to endure intense pain for an extended period of time. You will always have the memories, Carl and that, too, can be a blessing. And as a recovering person, you understand the reality of the statement - "There but for the grace of God....."

Carl, I imagine it is about like my cousin Mack dieing of cancer. I only got to see him every summer, but boy, what ever either of us thought of was DONE. Tom Sawyer had no more fun than we did, and we were in Mississippi. I mean we had a reputation with all the relatives. Nice kids alone, but boy did we have adventures.

I got that phone call from another cousin and it just did not register he was on his last leg. Then he died. Death has NEVER bothered me before. I was even happy fo rmy Dad, but this one. Man I literally almost turned around in the middle of no where on I-40 in Arkansas on the way to the funeral. I just could not accept this. THAT was such a big part of my life.

Trust and companionship like you have had starting that early in life is ........... must be God given. There are no words for that. I am sure dave is simply part of you, and will be a chunk of you gone when he goes. I hope you will take it well. I hope life is good for you.

Tough, Carl, and I feel for you, each of these important milestones in our Lives --- turning to dust.

And they are all different and personal --- but getting laid together in the same car? for the first time? --- very special, (seriously) and as one who was not totally unfamiliar with the back seat, in that same time frame, we hang on to the memories, we (usually) don't see the participants much, or at all, ever again... But we always hope we will...... until we get the bad news that we won't ...