Something doesnt seem right about our post biometrics and no id

Ok my wife did the biometrics back in late november. In March we got the work authorization letter along with the letter saying our form was send to CSC. However, she has not been able to get any kind of valid id except the work authorization piece.

She had a SS card when she got here along with a learners permit. Those both expired when her visa expired in October. The dmv was telling me we have to wait for the welcome letter to get new id. So Anyway its now late June and she hasnt had a valid id since November. Am I missing something? It would be nice if she could get her learners permit renewed so she could take drivers ed and not be stuck at home all day. I am in Oklahoma btw.

SS cards do not expire, it may be marked "Valid With DHS Auth" this just is to tell a prospective employer to look for further evidence of employ-ability (EAD, or Green-Card).

As for DL, this is a state by state thing, many set it to expire when evidence of legal presence expires (Date on the I-94 card).

You did file an I-765 with that I-864? You should have an EAD card by now. The EAD + SSN should be able to renew learner's permit.

Unfortunately this is one of the downsides of the K-1 visa, it's the after marriage and adjustment of status limbo time that can suck.

Is the EAD that work authorization letter? Thats the only thing I have since the biometrics. We tried taking the expired SS card to the DMV and they said no way she needs the welcome letter you get after biometrics. Her SS card does have an expiration date. It says "expires 10/21/2011."

Thanks so far for your input.

Yes work auth letter should be same as EAD (Employment Authorization Document).

Take that along with photo ID and SSN to DMV and should be able to renew the permit.

Should also be able to order a new SSN card from SSA using the EAD, first I heard of an expired date on a SSN card, must be new, my wife's first card did not have an expire date, after she got green-card we had the card replaced with one without the Valid With notation.

I meant to say a SSN (Number) will never change.

Is there by any chance another nearby dmv office? It might be worth a try to go to another office and possibly get a different response. I have seen time and time again over the years that office workers in various agencies don't have a clue about immigration issues and often will just say what they think is right, rather than what is right. We had this sort of thing with Li's Social Security card years ago. Went to one office and were told it cannot be issued until....blah blah blah.....went to a second office and presto.....card issued no sweat. Might be worth a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

"..Is there by any chance another nearby dmv office? It might be worth a try to go to another office and possibly get a different response. I have seen time and time again over the years that office workers in various agencies don't have a clue about immigration issues and often will just say what they think is right, rather than what is right..."

Hey Turbo, Mick's is the sensitive response. To be a little more blunt: You live in OK. Not a bastion of new immigration.... unless you consider Whites moving in with the Indians...

Yes work auth letter should be same as EAD (Employment Authorization Document). Take that along with photo ID and SSN to DMV and should be able to renew the permit. Should also be able to order a new SSN card from SSA using the EAD, first I heard of an expired date on a SSN card, must be new, my wife's first card did not have an expire date, after she got green-card we had the card replaced with one without the Valid With notation. I meant to say a SSN (Number) will never change.

thanks everyone. Can you renew a SS card online? I will try that if possible. Much better than sitting there for 2 hours waiting for you number to be called.

thanks everyone. Can you renew a SS card online? I will try that if possible. Much better than sitting there for 2 hours waiting for you number to be called.

Not on line, no, however you can order a replacement one by mail, the only issue is the supporting docs sent to them need to be originals or certified copies issued by the same departments that issued the originals.

http://ssa.gov/ssnumber/

Easier to simply visit an SSA office.